Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sanding a 6" walnut pepper mill today and could not get some scratches out. I sanded and sanded but no success. I finally got some new sandpaper starting at 150 and sanded thru 400 grit. I had the scratches out in less than 5 minutes after wasting over 30 minutes. If I have this problem again I will not hesitate to get fresh sandpaper!
Tom

·
7,222 Posts
I appreciate this problem. I have hung onto some pieces far too long.

I read in a thread on the forum that someone who taught the forum member said "Treat sandpaper as though you were not buying it" or some such words.

The intent was not to worry about the cost, as you have now experienced. ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good lesson. My grandfather would yell at us if we threw a 1"x1" piece of paper. Saying it's still good. While that is true, in some cases.

A easy fix to the sanding scratches woos is to use a scrapper. Then raise the grain with water an sand with a new sheet of 220.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Dave, it's "treat sandpaper as if someone else is paying for it." ;-). Of course that really only works if it's true.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I like worn 1500 grit for tuning up wood carving crooked knives and spokeshaves. I'm guessing
that it performs like 2K or finer.

Plus, do yourselves a favor. Don't sand a turning and expect to carve back into it.
Some sand grains inevitably stick in the wood for you to hit with your turning tools.
You can't pay me enough to fix that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
sawdustfactory said:
Dave, it's "treat sandpaper as if someone else is paying for it." ;-). Of course that really only works if it's true.
I remember that quote often. Was that yours? Best sanding advice ever. I force myself to order large enough quantities and order frequently enough that I never get near the end of my supply. And I don't calculate the price per disk so my frugal (cheap) side won't know exactly what's going on. I still can't tell when a disk is getting worn so I try to change when I have any doubt. I finally decided its worth a couple of bucks to save time sanding and spend more time turning.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Yep. I took a class with Dale Nish and he said it often. I also buy in bulk and try not too think about it too much, but I'm also selling a lot of what I make so it's a business expense at the same time.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was reminded of another lesson that I have had to learn over and over. Buy quality the first time. I have been replacing every tool in my shop because they weren't up to the task. I learned this lesson with sandpaper yesterday. I had bought some HF sandpaper. NEVER AGAIN. I was struggling with some 80 grit trying to remove some machining marks and it was taking forever. I then grabbed a piece of Norton 180 grit and fixed the problem in 15 seconds with hand sanding.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A couple of you mentioned that you buy your sandpaper "in bulk".
Could you tell me the best places to buy sandpaper in bulk?

Thank you
Dick

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I too like Klingspor discs. Also check online industrial supplies (or something like that), they have good prices on some things

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm lucky enough to attend our turning club meeting at Klingspor store. I buy sandpaper out of the scrap bin by the pound. It's kind of like dumpster diving but it's inside the store.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This will probably just make everyone jealous, but how much is the scrap sand paper by the pound?
I don't remember but I believe it's $3 a pound for the good cloth back paper. There are always club members going thru the bin. It does not come in any specific size. I might get a small piece that is 2 to 3 feet long and the width may be as small as 4" or s large 24". I have got rolls of 10 feet or longer.
Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts