Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building an arch for my wedding. I have the two arch pieces built and the top side sanded. What's the easiest way to sand the inside curve? On the outside I used my hand held belt sander to touch up any rough areas, but the inside doesn't work as well. I attached a pic of the plans if that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you have a drill press, a drum sander attachment.
A flush trim bit on the router used with a template.
Spoke shave.
Or good old fashion hand sanding with a block of wood with the same curve as the finished piece and adhesive sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Think about buying a Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. A very useful tool. Makes sanding inside curves a breeze.
Be sure to register it for the lifetime service warranty.

·
7,222 Posts
I have the Ridgid Oscillating Spindle / Belt Sander and got frustrated with the belt mode due to the joint and the spindle sander mode due to the small area around the spindle.

I recently purchased an inexpensive Grizzly oscillating spindle sander. I recommend this for your project. Very good dust collection.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0538

HD seem to have stopped selling the sleeves for the Ridgid unit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think Grizzly G0538 and my Wilton are the same machine with different paint. My Wilton is black. I really love it. I am having trouble finding 3 inch sleeves in any grit. I like the 3 inch sleeve because I get in less trouble doing inside or outside curves with the larger radius wheel. I also use mine as an edger. I sawed a 3.125 hole just at the factory edge of a .75 plywood. about 3 feet long. I hold it in place with clamps and just let the wheel kiss the edge of my board. Still have to make the passes quite quickly. I get a really straight and square edge for glue joints. I found my latest replacement sleeves at Rockler.com. But they don't seem to have 3 inch.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Ditto on the Ridgid spindle/belt sander. At around two bills its a great value.

It'll cost less than the wedding cake.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If by hand, PSA sandpaper stuck to a curved rubber sanding block. Rolls of sticky paper and the blocks are sold at any auto paint store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts