Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My table top has alternating padauk and rock maple. If I take 220-400 grit to it am I going to end up with pink maple? Would it be best to just take a cabinet scraper to it and call that good?

By the way...I feel like I post a lot. I've had tons of questions on this project as it is my first project of note and I went in to this with very minimal wood working knowledge. I appreciate everyone's insight here.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not so much the maple, but gettin' yourself and the shop cleaned up is gonna be a nightmare.:laughing:
I've done several padauk projects. Thought I never would get the sanding dust off the lathe and the walls behind it.
It sure is pretty wood.
Bill

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not so much the maple, but gettin' yourself and the shop cleaned up is gonna be a nightmare.:laughing:
I've done several padauk projects. Thought I never would get the sanding dust off the lathe and the walls behind it.
It sure is pretty wood.
Bill
Haha! Ya everything in the shop right now how a nice red glow to it.:laughing:

It is a great eye opener for those who don't think airborne dust is an issue. When you see that pink cloud in the air there is not denying it. I use a respirator in the shop 100% of the time weather I'm cutting or not.

·
7,222 Posts
If you have ROS with good dust collection it should not be a problem.

If you do not have dust collection while sanding I would expect some colour carryover.

I connect my ROS to my shop vac and have sanded a project with padauk and maple without a problem.

Scraping also works.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have ROS with good dust collection it should not be a problem.

If you do not have dust collection while sanding I would expect some colour carryover.

I connect my ROS to my shop vac and have sanded a project with padauk and maple without a problem.

Scraping also works.
Ok thanks. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade from my crappy B&D Mouse to a decent ROS, this might suffice. hah!

·
7,222 Posts
Ok thanks. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade from my crappy B&D Mouse to a decent ROS, this might suffice. hah!
I have the Porter Cable 390. I would purchase this again. I hook it up to my Fein shop vac and get almost no dust.

I did have to jerry rig the connection but it now works very well. DeWalt purchased PC a few years ago and sell the same design under a DeWalt badge. Not sure of the model number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.