Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My table top has alternating padauk and rock maple. If I take 220-400 grit to it am I going to end up with pink maple? Would it be best to just take a cabinet scraper to it and call that good?

By the way...I feel like I post a lot. I've had tons of questions on this project as it is my first project of note and I went in to this with very minimal wood working knowledge. I appreciate everyone's insight here.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
You should be able to blow any red dust off of the maple.
I've worked in the "bush" where slapping it with a clean dry towel served as my compressor.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not so much the maple, but gettin' yourself and the shop cleaned up is gonna be a nightmare.:laughing:
I've done several padauk projects. Thought I never would get the sanding dust off the lathe and the walls behind it.
It sure is pretty wood.
Bill

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not so much the maple, but gettin' yourself and the shop cleaned up is gonna be a nightmare.:laughing:
I've done several padauk projects. Thought I never would get the sanding dust off the lathe and the walls behind it.
It sure is pretty wood.
Bill
Haha! Ya everything in the shop right now how a nice red glow to it.:laughing:

It is a great eye opener for those who don't think airborne dust is an issue. When you see that pink cloud in the air there is not denying it. I use a respirator in the shop 100% of the time weather I'm cutting or not.

·
7,222 Posts
If you have ROS with good dust collection it should not be a problem.

If you do not have dust collection while sanding I would expect some colour carryover.

I connect my ROS to my shop vac and have sanded a project with padauk and maple without a problem.

Scraping also works.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If it's important to you, take the time to glue two pieces of scrap together, let it fully dry and then sand the seam.
See if the residue is a problem. I think it very well might be.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have ROS with good dust collection it should not be a problem.

If you do not have dust collection while sanding I would expect some colour carryover.

I connect my ROS to my shop vac and have sanded a project with padauk and maple without a problem.

Scraping also works.
Ok thanks. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade from my crappy B&D Mouse to a decent ROS, this might suffice. hah!

·
7,222 Posts
Ok thanks. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade from my crappy B&D Mouse to a decent ROS, this might suffice. hah!
I have the Porter Cable 390. I would purchase this again. I hook it up to my Fein shop vac and get almost no dust.

I did have to jerry rig the connection but it now works very well. DeWalt purchased PC a few years ago and sell the same design under a DeWalt badge. Not sure of the model number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts