Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sanding belt pad cleaners, are they just a joke? I have had sanding belts get filled up very quickly before then just trashed the belt. I recently learned about Sanding belt pad cleaners do they work? Thanks

Dairy Cheese Rectangle Sanding block Uirō

·
John
3,028 Posts
Sanding belt pad cleaners, are they just a joke? I have had sanding belts get filled up very quickly before then just trashed the belt. I recently learned about Sanding belt pad cleaners do they work? Thanks

View attachment 76106
The ones I have work fairly well. If the stuff is glazed in like old paint would be, I don't think anything will help but for cleaning wood residues out they're worth the money. :smile:

Reactions: Anguspapa

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I was convinced to buy one by a salesman the last time I needed to buy a belt. I figure its paid for itself by now. Definitely extends life of belt.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
They also make sanding more efficient.

Clogged belts slow the sanding process.

Reactions: Anguspapa

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yep , they're the bees knees they are , wouldn't be without one.
And if I was , an old crepe soled shoe would fill the bill
They are truly the bees knees. I use them on all sanding media, belts, disks, drums, oscillating sanders, and even tried them on just plain paper. They keep old paper from burning the wood if you can not get a replacement right away. You will definitely not remove built-up paint.

One observation when I use it on my ROS you need to apply enough pressure otherwise it seem to stop the sander. I sand a lot of boards that are 3 1/2" X 36" all 4 sides boards and my standard procedure is to clean after each board.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I've used them for years, and they do work. I had an old screwdriver that I needed to make a carving tool out of, and wanted to reshape the plastic handle. I sanded on it with my belt sander, and the belt became clean. It might have been a certain type of composite in the plastic, but, some plastics work as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Old Tennis shoes work Great too! If the belt clogs with wood resin especially like southern yellow pine etc... Wet a rag with Acetone and wad it up use it like the eraser. It will unclog the belt very quickly and make it almost like new.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Crepe rubber sticks. Lee Valley. You're dang tootin' right that they work! Got the advice from a furniture shop where there may be 30+ days of sanding at a time.
Explanation: as the sandpaper grit surface gets clogged up with fiber and resin, the cutting ability goes away. The reaction is to push harder. Wrong. Then friction goes up, heat goes up and the waste gets cooked into the grit grain adhesive and the sanding unit is ruined.
Touch the crepe rubber to the running sander and poof! Seems to erase the clogging gunk.

I've done a lot of shaping of abalone and other kinds of shells as inlays for wood carvings. Both stones for cutting and drums for fine shaping. I estimate that the crepe rubber stick has saved me more than $300 in stones and drums. Shell dust can cook into the grit in the blink of an eye. Just as soon as the stone goes white, a touch with the rubber and carve on!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also found that switching from Elmer's to Titebond wood glue helps my belts last longer as well. My local saw mill told me the Elmer's gums up when you sand it while the Titebond turns to dust.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
I also found that switching from Elmer's to Titebond wood glue helps my belts last longer as well. My local saw mill told me the Elmer's gums up when you sand it while the Titebond turns to dust.
+1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use the sanding cleaner sticks too, but don't overlook the ability to wash the belts (fabric backed) in a solution of Arm & Hammer WASHING SODA (not baking soda). Soda, warm water, soak, brush, dry, put 'em back to work.
Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts