Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all, I took on a project to convert an old radio console into a mini bar. I am an true novice, This is my 3rd project, the first 2 look really good, but I am struggling with this one. Take a look at the attached photos. I stripped the entire piece with a stain and poly remover. I sanded it down (where I think my issue is), applied the wood conditioner, then the stain. On the darker pieces of wood, you can see where I did not do a very good job of sanding. How can I fix this or go back and make this look better before I apply the poly? Thanks in advance for an advice you can give me

Attachments

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Your piece is most likely veneer, so you will need to be very careful not to sand completely through it.
If you have visible places where you did not sand the finish completely off, you will need to go back and re-sand those places.
When everything is sanded well but there is major variances in the wood color; this is where a Toner is used. The Toner is applied very lightly to blend light and dark. I don’t think you need a Toner. I think in your case it’s more sanding. The sanding will actually be more difficult because the stain may gum up your sandpaper. Because of the contours, sand by hand. Start with 150 grit.

Reactions: William Hall

·
Registered
26,208 Posts
Wash the area you need to sand with lacquer thinner and let it dry. Then do the sanding you need. The stain will still gum up on the paper but there isn't a better alternative. Just change paper when it gums up. After you get the sanding done stain it again.

More than likely you shouldn't have put a wood conditioner on it. I had a antique refinishing shop for 10 years and never used a conditioner on anything. The wood never strips completely clean so it isn't like staining a new piece of wood even if it's a type of wood prone to blotch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts