Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister gave me a wooden bowl to refinish because it got wet and has water marks on it. Being a wood turner I would normally just mount it to the lathe with my plate jaws and go to town on it with some sandpaper. However, it is either a hand carved bowl or a green turning that warped because it is not quite round. Aside from the laborious task of hand sanding the whole thing are there any good ways to sand it down? My concern is that the water stains are deep into the wood and no amount of sanding will get rid of them. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My sister gave me a wooden bowl to refinish because it got wet and has water marks on it. Being a wood turner I would normally just mount it to the lathe with my plate jaws and go to town on it with some sandpaper. However, it is either a hand carved bowl or a green turning that warped because it is not quite round. Aside from the laborious task of hand sanding the whole thing are there any good ways to sand it down? My concern is that the water stains are deep into the wood and no amount of sanding will get rid of them. Any thoughts?
Ken ,
how about mounting it on the lathe , unhooking the belts , and using a well padded power sanding mandrel in the electric drill on it . The spinning disk will get the bowl spinning .
The same but different to how we have the lathe running and the sanding mandrel in a rotary sander handle .

·
Registered
26,358 Posts
Have you used any stripper or lacquer thinner on the bowl? Perhaps the water spots are in the finish and you may not need to do any heavy sanding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts