Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
What Wood I Do
291 Posts
Living until age 93... I'll sign that contract anyday! Being Sam Maloof...there can only be one! He was and always will be a great inspiration.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sam was well known to furniture makers even outside his native US. In one book I have which he contributed to he says,
"So often people have asked me why I work in wood rather than ... plastics. My answer has always been that anyone who has worked in wood knows how intimate it is, how beautiful it works, how beautiful it is to the touch and to the eye."

A great craftsman, he'll be missed.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
I have never in person seen any of his work, but would love to.

The Lebanese that immigrated to this country in the first part of the 20th Century tended to be very hard workers. They did not ask for nor receive any help. They learned the language and did not ask us to speak theirs. My father-in-law, George Malouf, did not speak a word of English when he landed in New York but he got a job and earned his way. He later became a successful small clothing store owner.

G

·
johnep
2,088 Posts
Great pity that here in UK we pander to 'multiculturalism'. Millions spent on translators, leaflets etc printed in upto a dozen languages.

In some schools, 80% of students have english as second language.

I am a great admire of USA immigration policy:

1) No infectious disease such as HIV or TB, UK imports both.

2) All teaching in English (American).

3) Salute the flag every day.

If we tried to suggest these for UK would be accused of racism.

johnep

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
Great pity that here in UK we pander to 'multiculturalism'. Millions spent on translators, leaflets etc printed in upto a dozen languages.

In some schools, 80% of students have english as second language.

I am a great admire of USA immigration policy:

1) No infectious disease such as HIV or TB, UK imports both.

2) All teaching in English (American).

3) Salute the flag every day.

If we tried to suggest these for UK would be accused of racism.

johnep
It would alse be nice if we had that here in the US of A.

Unfortunately reality is far different.

G

·
Registered
178 Posts
I became interested in woodworking again after 20 years of putting it aside because of Sam Maloof. Craftsman, woodworker, furniture designer, innovator, call him what you like, but he was a true artist. He could do things with wood that I've never seen anyone do, and it was all instinct & self-taught. His seminars & demonstrations, now on video, leave you wondering how anyone could shape a perfectly crafted chair arm after sketching it on the board, using only a pencil and a $2 yard stick. He used a band saw & rasp to sculpt the most beautiful lines & always seemed to know exactly how each piece was going to fit together. I never met the man & kick myself for not making the trip to his Rancho Cucamonga workshop during one of my many trips to Southern California. Sam Maloof was an inspiration to all woodworkers who hope to reach that ever elusive level of perfection. He was a signature artist, one of the few. He may be gone, but his work is forever & speaks for itself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was able to meet with Sam a few months ago with a group of woodworkers. He was so nice to visit with. Very down to earth. He wasn't feeling well that day so instead of him coming up to his workshop, he invited us down to his house. We were all thrilled as we got to sit in all his chairs. I then went to the Riverside art gallery to look at some of his work that was on display. He had his recliner chair on exhibit. I took alot of pics. His spirit will live on in what he inspired many of us to do with wood. I'm so glad I took the time to go to his shop tour.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I have never met him but I have read some about him. It sounds like he reached a high pinnacle of craftsmanship that is rare. He made some of his signature chairs for several presidents past. He was a living example of the American dream.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My hat is off, to Mr. Maloof.

With all the craziness going on in our country these days... we need more guys like this...

Great work, great life...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts