Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built a play table for my son. Finished the top of the table with glaze coat epoxy. On day two of the epoxy drying and curing my wife placed a towel over the table and applied pressure leaving a hand print impression. I tried lightly sanding the area with 800 grit and polishing but the haziness is still there when the light hits it right. Can I repair this without having to strip and re epoxy? If I put more epoxy over the area with the haziness will the haziness show through or will the epoxy just fill in the void with a clear finish? Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
845 Posts
A fresh top coat should restore an even sheen---after fine sanding of the entire top---

without a picture, it would be difficult to guess if the cloudy area will clear up--

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had something similar with a vanity top. I ended up sanding at 150 grit across the whole thing, then flood-coating the entire top. Granted I tinted mine with gray, somewhere between translucent and opaque, and you cant see any of the sanding marks under the top layer.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Assuming that the epoxy is now completely cured, you have 2 options:
A) Sand and polish the entire table top, working your way up to a 3000 grit sandpaper before following with a polishing compound, to bring back a perfect gloss sheen
2) Sand the entire top with some 320 grit paper and pour a new layer of epoxy, but this time dont let anybody touch it

A gives better results, 2 is less work and will still give acceptable results

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,558 Posts
it's called a keepsake !!
put your hand on the impression and trace it with a Sharpie marker.
then, put your son's hand inside the drawing and trace his hand.
problem solved

1 - 5 of 5 Posts