Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't posted in a while but here is my most recent project. I a building some saloon doors to put in the ready room on the ship. Here is what I have so far. The first picture is a cardboard template I made to to get an idea of how they would look. Next, I clamped the two trident halves together so I could sand them down and make them identical. The next picture is of the trident after I finished sanding. The poplar board started at 15 inches wide. I could not find a planer that wide so I had to do it the old fashion way. Next is the poplar after I finished planing it. Planing complete. I used the cardboard template to trace the door shape on the poplar board. I didn't take a picture of the doors clamped together but I did the same thing to the doors that I did to the trident. The last picture I loaded (which showed up first) is of the first door after I glued the trident to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
image-2392543713.jpg here are the doors after a coat of poly. image-3539776449.jpg I went to the ship and got the doors hung up. They give the ready room a little more character.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Beautiful set of doors.

Now for the stupid question. How did you manage to hang them in the hatchway of a steel ship? Also, what happened to the water tight hatch usually found on every doorway?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
johnnie52 said:
Beautiful set of doors. Now for the stupid question. How did you manage to hang them in the hatchway of a steel ship? Also, what happened to the water tight hatch usually found on every doorway?
Thanks! With regard to the steel ship, I may have bent some rules. This is inside the ready room and previously was just an open doorway with a sheet metal frame. I drilled holes in the sheet metal and used bolts to attach the hinges. There are still plenty of water tight hatches and knee knockers to remind you that you are on a ship.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts