Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate posting new threads on topics that have been discussed before, but thought this was worth it in possible keeping some people in check. Over the weekend I was jointing some wood, got a little lazy and was just running the wood with my hands and next thing I know I felt it :eek:.....ran my middle finger right in the blades. I was worried to look and when I did couldn't see the extent of damage due to blood. After washing I realized how lucky I was, took about a 1/16 off the tip. Luckily I keep it set fairly small haha. Lesson of the day, USE THOSE PUSH BLOCKS!!

·
Registered
26,338 Posts
I had an employee do that one time just brushing the dust off the jointer. He took off a bit more than a 1/16". Needless to say he was never allowed to run machinery again.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks for reminding us and glad to read your injury was minimal. It's hard to swallow our pride and post our blunders, but we all need to be reminded not to cut corners or take short cuts. Thanks again.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Sad thing is accidents can happen even when the tools aren't powered on. Took a decent chunk out of finger on jigsaw blade when just grabbing a piece of wood off table. The result of mind elsewhere and not looking.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Sad thing is accidents can happen even when the tools aren't powered on.

I had a nasty gash on the back of my hand from a tool that wasn't running. I was drilling hinge holes in doors on the DP. The tool was off, and I reached towards the back of the fence to clear out debris, and the pilot point of the Forstner got me.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've had my share of contusions and abrasions on non running chainsaws...usually after machine sharpenings.

·
I <3 the smell of sawdust
327 Posts
I've had my share of contusions and abrasions on non running chainsaws...usually after machine sharpenings.
I once had a chainsaw jam in a branch. So I shut it off, bent the branch open with one hand to free the saw, holding the saw with the other hand. The saw swung down and put a gash in my other forearm, worthy of 2 stitches. And it was just a little 16" saw (with a sharp chain)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I had a nasty gash on the back of my hand from a tool that wasn't running. I was drilling hinge holes in doors on the DP. The tool was off, and I reached towards the back of the fence to clear out debris, and the pilot point of the Forstner got me.
I've done that a few times. Fortunately never worse than a bad scratch so far.

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
Hate posting new threads on topics that have been discussed before, but thought this was worth it in possible keeping some people in check. Over the weekend I was jointing some wood, got a little lazy and was just running the wood with my hands and next thing I know I felt it :eek:.....ran my middle finger right in the blades. I was worried to look and when I did couldn't see the extent of damage due to blood. After washing I realized how lucky I was, took about a 1/16 off the tip. Luckily I keep it set fairly small haha. Lesson of the day, USE THOSE PUSH BLOCKS!!
Well glad it wasn't any worse.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have been hurt a couple of times. One time a kicked off my mitersaw and right into the palm of me hand that was holding it down. That hurt real bad and I should have probly gotten stitches but didnt. I still have that scar to remind me.
Another time I cut myself with a chisle but it wasnt to bad.
Thank god I have never been cut by a power tool (nock on wood)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts