Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - fairly new to woodwork and very new to power tools for woodwork.

I just bought a used Ryobi hand held trim router R18TR-0, and a Ryobi 5 bit set in their sale.

On the box it says 6mm set, but then when I fit them they won't tighten up. So I then read about collet sizes on the internet and see that the router originally would come with a 6.35mm and 6.00 collet .

But then I flipped the collet around and found that the bit would then grip ok.

I have Googled but can't quite work out what is going on. Do I need to get another collet in order to fit all 1/4, or was the collet in upside down when I got it , or is it a double ended thing , and designed to be flipped. Or is there some imperial/metric parts confusion going on with 1/4"?

Or am I just on the wrong track here?

·
where's my table saw?
32,273 Posts
I found the same thing on a die grinder. My 1/4" or .250" bits wouldn't fit into the collet.
Your 6mm equates to .2362" slightly less than .250" but if reversing the collet works, I'd live with that.
They just need to be secure so the they can't move in or out from vibration, a common issue when routing.
Tighten one of them up, make a mark or tape a line on it and give it a rap with a nylon tipped hammer to see if it moves in at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I tried to tighten and use the bits, they were in fact not tight enough and did give.

I put a micrometer on their shaft and they come up at 5.6mm

So I am guessing that the collet in there is the 6.35mm. Apparently when bought from new they come with a 6.35mm and 6mm

Does that sound likely? I will need to source a 6mm collet

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May be easier to go to 1/4" (6.35mm) shank bits than finding a 6mm collet.

Oops see you are across the pond, maybe not. :)
Cheers Frank, Well I was very keen to use the Ryobi router bit set as they look to be good quality and I got them for £15 discounted from £28- they advertise and say on the box 6mm. I now got a very cheap set off Amazon that fit in the router just fine, and are about 0.3mm bigger diameter on shafts than Ryobi ones.

So, in short, I am up and routing now, but looking around for smaller collet to take the smaller Ryobi bits.

We have the issue here in UK that metric and imperial seem to be available but sometimes labelled in a rather confusingly interchangeable way, which is ok on some things, but not things needing total precision like a router bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts