Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have two projects going through the hopper. For both projects the clients asked for them to look weathered or rustic. They both are essentially shadow boxes, one from old chestnut and one from old pine that was used in a winery. Both cuts of wood have a rough cut side to them and I plan on doing a light sanding just to clean up years of dirt build up. Can anyone give advice as to how to finish these woods and not alternate the natural color of the wood. Both project will be placed inside and never go outside. Both will see a lot of sun light.

Disclaimer: I am ridiculously new to wood working so very straight forward easy to understand descriptions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
27,109 Posts
I'm not sure what you have in mind. Weathered to me would look like barnwood. I would leave the wood rough and use bleach to recreate the effects of being out in the sun and rain. Then if it went too white use a light colored watco oil finish to bring the color back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, yes the wood is actually barn wood right now but I dont want to have all the gross decaying (potentially squirrel pee) in the house so I would clean it up soak it in bleach then finish it with watco oil finish. I will try that out. What kind of watco oil finish would you use. I would like to avoid any form of gloss for this.

·
Registered
27,109 Posts
thank you, yes the wood is actually barn wood right now but I dont want to have all the gross decaying (potentially squirrel pee) in the house so I would clean it up soak it in bleach then finish it with watco oil finish. I will try that out. What kind of watco oil finish would you use. I would like to avoid any form of gloss for this.
If it is already barnwood I don't know if I would wash the wood down with bleach. If you are worried about critter urine I would just take to a car wash and rinse it off and let dry. As far as the Watco I would probably use either the natural or a 50/50 mixture of the natural and fruitwood.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually found a minwax white wash pickling finish and a watco teek oil finish. I plan to test it out on some scrap tonight and go from there. We will see.

·
Registered
27,109 Posts
I actually found a minwax white wash pickling finish and a watco teek oil finish. I plan to test it out on some scrap tonight and go from there. We will see.
The minwax white wash pickling finish isn't a finish. It's a white stain that would need to be topcoated with a non-yellowing coating. The teak oil would need to go on first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts