Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have to write on this.

I use electrolysis extensively in my rust removing on old tools, but there is times when I do want to preserve the Japanning or it's real small.
I use regular store bought lemon juice, a gallon jug runs about 4 dollars.
Free if you barrow some of your wife's. ;)

This I used for the spokeshave was used for cleaning 19 auger bits several plane frogs, lever caps, and blades. Should note this, I had accidentally left one auger bit in the juice about a month ago and was not harmed.

Anyone feel free to add to this thread on there methods, just wanted to let everyone know of another safe method.

Spokeshave was just cleaned off with soap and hot water, and a little finger rubbing. Except for the screw which I used a wire brush for the threads.

cowboy

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update after the cleaning with the juice.
Seymour Smith & Son spokeshave restored.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use citric acid and mix my own. 5lbs of citric acid is about $18-$20 on Amazon. Just mix with water and you can make it as strong as you need. It may end up being cheaper than the lemon juice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just an update after the cleaning with the juice.
Seymour Smith & Son spokeshave restored.

Looks great! :thumbsup:

What did you use to recoat the body?

Reactions: acowboy

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks good and thanks for the tip. How long did you soak the parts in the solution.
24 hours in lemon juice, and the paint was VHT engine enamel from Auto Zone...still needs to cure at least 7 days.

And thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Edit: Must add this, make sure your part is totally submerged in LJ or a line will develop that will hard to remove.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to clean-up my 81, used, off course, lemon juice.

Was not in bad shape to start , so only 7 hours in a diluted LJ solution.
Here is what it looked like before the bath.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Everything looks great! I have been using electrolysis/emery cloth/sand-papering/wire wheeling for a while and I have wanted to try something that is a bit "easier." I wonder how it would do with a rusted plane?

I just picked up a Revonoc No. 6 for 2 bucks that has a fair amount of rust, although I wonder if I would need to use too much lemon juice? Perhaps lemon juice for the smalls and electrolysis for the bigger items? Just a thought..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
On bigger parts I do electrolysis, it's a little cheaper.
But for the small parts, LJ seems to work great.

Here is the 81 now cleaned up, must add that I have been using the brake cleaner to clean the lemon juice off, plus it gets the part ready to paint if that is in the game plan.

Only brake cleaner and a small wire brush was used for the final cleaning,

Edit: Some more pics of other parts and tools clean with this process.
Two expansive auger bits,fence for a 78, one Nicholson file, before and after.

Edit: Brake cleaner may effect the paint, use soap and water for cleaning painted parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything looks great! I have been using electrolysis/emery cloth/sand-papering/wire wheeling for a while and I have wanted to try something that is a bit "easier." I wonder how it would do with a rusted plane?

I just picked up a Revonoc No. 6 for 2 bucks that has a fair amount of rust, although I wonder if I would need to use too much lemon juice? Perhaps lemon juice for the smalls and electrolysis for the bigger items? Just a thought..
Planing on maybe using it on a #8, build a trough long and high enough to exceed the dimensions of the plane. Using some heavy mill plastic and line it with plenty of excess.

Put the plane in upside down, frog off of course, pour in the lemon juice to completely cover the plane. Even a heavy ply garbage bag might work. But I am going to use a clearer type plastic drop cloth.

Here is a few 78's d-rusted.
One that was a part plane with a unusual stamp O with a U in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Health food stores carry it, I think Walmart carries it in the Pharmacy area. May look around today and pick up some and try that.

This thread is about "rust removing", so if anyone want to add to it, feel free to do it please.

Electrolysis link can be found here:
http://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/electrolysis/electrolysis.htm

And timetestedtools has an excellent site here:
http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com/bench-plane-restore-the-dw-way/

Citric acid link:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/trestore/techniques/rustCitricAcid/rustCitricAcid1.asp

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a shot of my Electrolysis set up, not quite finished yet.

Will have her going tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A very special plane bottom in for a bath.

10 gallons of water plus 10 tbls. of baking soda, this is the cheapest and easiest way to remove rust that I know of.

Japanning may be lost doing it this way, but the plane bottom had about 40 to 50 percent loss anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Rust removing with lemon juice

Made a mistake the other day, had to rush off to work and not cleaning my tools off.

Was sharpening a plane blade on some of my diamond lapidary plates, had used a spray bottle my wife had mixed vinegar and water in.
Did not clean them off when I was done. Guess the vinegar accelerated the rusting.

The metal shaving or dust had rusted and stained the plates.
Pics below.

The last one is where I stuck about half of one in lemon juice, mind you have tried to get the stains of with cleaning...nope..till LJ.

All four plates are taking a bath before I go to work...;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

Love the end result using the Lemon Juice. I have a question though: I bought a Stanley 55 Combination Plane, I believe that is what the gentleman told me it was called. I have heard Universal plane, but anyhow it has a nickel plating on it. I want to remove the rust but I don't want the nickel plating to be affected, do you know if the Lemon Juice would solve this problem or is there something else I could do?

John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts