Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my latest Russian Olive bowl my first was in 2011.

I have one coat of "waterlox" as the finish and will recoat tomorrow.
IMG_20130512_120304_377 (Copy).jpg

In the center is a large knot that I stabilized with CA glue. The bowl is about 9" dia and 3 1/2" tall.

IMG_20130512_120318_759 (Copy).jpg

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice. I like the grain.
One thing I like about the grain is after sanding the darker figures sand away more than the light and as you run your finger across the surface it feels like a wave. I got my two pieces at our turning club raffle which we have every meeting. Members bring pieces of wood or something related to turning and we pay $2.00 to get in on the raffle.

Another invasive species is buck thorn it also has a very interesting grain which a member of our turning club makes what are called weed pots:eek: don't get excited the weeds are dried wild flowers, and he sells them to flower shop.

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Bob Willing said:
One thing I like about the grain is after sanding the darker figures sand away more than the light and as you run your finger across the surface it feels like a wave. I got my two pieces at our turning club raffle which we have every meeting. Members bring pieces of wood or something related to turning and we pay $2.00 to get in on the raffle.

Another invasive species is buck thorn it also has a very interesting grain which a member of our turning club makes what are called weed pots:eek: don't get excited the weeds are dried wild flowers, and he sells them to flower shop.
That's sweet!!!!
Got a lot of buckthorn around here. It's one of the hottest burning woods BTU.
BTW I just notice your in the U.P. what part?

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Bob Willing said:
Live near Crystal Falls, MI just west of Alpha.
Nice!!!! I have a cabin in iron river.
Off FF hwy 16, 10miles south of Kenton. I'm going up there for memorial weekend.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tilaran it is: Elaeagnus angustifolia and from what I can tell they do not want it in Costa Rica.
After a little study I can see why ! Thanks for the reply.I'm gonna contact a few people on that side of the pond and see if I can get some slices for chefs knife handles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts