Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was turning more cupcakes today. when I turn standard boxes that are thin sometimes you get chatter out toward the edge when hollowing. On regular boxes I just dampen it with my fingers on the outside. Can't do that with the cupcakes because of the fluting on the outside. I put several rubber bands around the outside and it completely eliminated the chatter so I could get a clean cut on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Thanks for this great tip, John.

For me, it's a twofer -- I hadn't realised that you cut the flutes on the outside before you hollow the cake, but it makes perfect sense (since I attempt to finish the outside of regular bowls as far as possible before hollowing).

(Make that a threefer -- another view of your router jig nudges me once more towards building one.)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My original router jig had the router mounted flat. That works fine for some things. However on the V cuts and rounded cove cuts the center of the bit is moving too slow to leave a clean cut. By mounting the router at 45 degrees I was able to use the edge of a straight bit to make V cuts and the whole cut is much cleaner than using a standard V cut router bit.

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
Nice cupcakes John. I would try and take a bite out of them. They look good enough to eat. Nice tip on the rubber band, good idea.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts