Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need use a router (roundover bit) to round the edges of several 2" x 6" boards. I have a Bosch router and router table. There is not enough room for a 2" x 6" between the fence and the router bit. Do I need to remove the fence that comes with the table and clamp on a homebuilt fence? I would appreciate any ideas on how to do this. I thought a router table would be better than trying to freehand, but I need to figure out a good dyi fence or some other approach. Thanks for any help! I am a novice.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I need use a router (roundover bit) to round the edges of several 2" x 6" boards. I have a Bosch router and router table. There is not enough room for a 2" x 6" between the fence and the router bit. Do I need to remove the fence that comes with the table and clamp on a homebuilt fence? I would appreciate any ideas on how to do this. I thought a router table would be better than trying to freehand, but I need to figure out a good dyi fence or some other approach. Thanks for any help! I am a novice.
If I am understanding you right, the fence is on one side of the board and the router bit on the other side? If so, that is a dangerous setup and I would not suggest it. The router bit should be set into your fence. If it has a ball bearing pilot, use a straight edge across the fence and make certain the bearing just touches the straight edge. Of you are rounding over a 2x6, you could easily do so with the router alone, no table. Using a fence will only track the bearing straighter in case there are nots or holes where the bearing would ride.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Round over router bits don't need a fence at all. Every one I've ever seen has the bearing on it to keep the wood properly oriented on the bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I am understanding you right, the fence is on one side of the board and the router bit on the other side? If so, that is a dangerous setup and I would not suggest it. The router bit should be set into your fence. If it has a ball bearing pilot, use a straight edge across the fence and make certain the bearing just touches the straight edge. Of you are rounding over a 2x6, you could easily do so with the router alone, no table. Using a fence will only track the bearing straighter in case there are nots or holes where the bearing would ride.
Oh my gosh, I see what you are saying. I was using the fence improperly. Thank you so much. I am going to try again in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Check your boards first. Hand held is a better & safer way to go if the board isn't flat or has a slight twist.

Just like a table saw, push sticks/blocks and hold downs (feather boards) are your best friends.

·
Super Moderator
4,100 Posts
Blue - welcome to the forum !!
could you tell us a little about your project ?
some drawings, sketches, photos etc would be nice to see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are probably better off using the router freehand, much easier to control just the router than a long board on a short table.
Yeah, what he said! You are making the job more difficult by trying to use the router table. Also you will get much better results freehand

·
Registered
513 Posts
If I want a smaller round over I use a split fence and only expose a portion of the bit.
Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts