Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking welding in high school and I have the choice of what to make for a project. I already ok'd making a router table/cart with my welding teacher. I have to make the frame from metal but I can have wood on the sides if I want too. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or plans that if might be able to use. I have no idea how to build a router table or a fence system for it. So the more explanation the better. Thanks for taking time to read this and help me.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi JB.

There are numerous threads here on the subject.

Its a pretty broad subject so try a search of this forum then if you have specific questions we'll be able to help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What router table insert plate could I use a hf 1.5 horsepower plunge router. Or is it better to make it special. Or if I upgrade will I have to get a new insert plate?

·
Registered
26,854 Posts
The mounting holes very from router to router. I would make the top with a 10" to 12" square hole in it with a lip to accept a 1/4" thick aluminum plate. Then make the plate and drill and countersink holes in it to fit the router you have. At some time in the future when you change routers and the holes don't match up it gives you the option of making a new plate to fit the new router.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know any brand names so how would I find them? I just bought the router a 1 3/4 hp craftsman plunge router. Variable speed 1/4 and 1/2 shank. So can I get a plate specifically for that?

·
Registered
26,854 Posts
Also I've seen to make the top 1 1/2 inches thick is this to thick or should I go an inch
The thickness of your top wouldn't really matter. You would just make a rabbetted lip around the top where you are going to insert the router lift plate. For the screws you remove the plastic sub-base of your router and use those screws to mount the base of the router to the plate.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok thanks. I have to finish designing it and I will post a picture of my plans. Do you have experience with a hinged top? I've heard there good to have.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts