Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying either the skil ras900 or the bosch at Lowes. I need a new table that has a 3/4 miter slot so I can buy the rockler box joint jig and these are the only two I can find. The skil is 139 and Bosch is 179. The skil does come with some more extras like a miter gauge. I'll just be using it to make box joints for jewelry boxes, do some round over and ogies, cut some dados etc. I am on a budget so I may go with the skil especially with the extras you get. I had a skil table and router before but recently sold it after I got my new craftsman setup a month ago. The skil router I had before was terrible and the switch on the table wasn't ideal but they have corrected that now. So I haven't had bad experiences with the skil table except my old one had the broken switch and 5/8 miter slot. But the Bosch looks really nice and it's Bosch lol. Anyone ever own one of these or try one out? Also I may try to make some cabinets for my house with it so not sure if it will be fine with that

·
where's my table saw?
31,223 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woodnthings said:
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-PRS1020-24-inch-32-inch-Precision/dp/B000VRNJQY/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1378429990&sr=8-17&keywords=router+table

That's a nice table and all you need is a base for it. The base can be a 4 side box that the table sits on, holes for air, and a power switch on the outside. :thumbsup:
Sweet! Glad I was able to get validation about the table on here. Definitely makes me more comfortable about buying it. I was thinking about making a box stand to mount it on to and have a cabinet underneath for a small vac and extras accesories and put casters on it so I can roll it away from the wall for long pieces since I have limited shop space.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Marine04 said:
Looking at buying either the skil ras900 or the bosch at Lowes.
Let me start by saying I have purchased both of those router tables. I started with the Skil and then upgraded to the Bosch cause I just didn't like the feel of the Skil. Comparing the 2, I'd definitely say the Bosch is worth the extra $$. (Skil was $99 when I actually bought it.).

Having stated above, I'd get the Kreg unit over both of the Lowes tables if I was to do it over. I plan on getting one next year as I'm on a budget too :).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burb said:
Let me start by saying I have purchased both of those router tables. I started with the Skil and then upgraded to the Bosch cause I just didn't like the feel of the Skil. Comparing the 2, I'd definitely say the Bosch is worth the extra $$. (Skil was $99 when I actually bought it.).

Having stated above, I'd get the Kreg unit over both of the Lowes tables if I was to do it over. I plan on getting one next year as I'm on a budget too :).
What was the feel of the skil table you didn't like so much? Was it kind of wobbly from the foldable legs?

·
John
3,028 Posts
Looking at buying either the skil ras900 or the bosch at Lowes. I need a new table that has a 3/4 miter slot so I can buy the rockler box joint jig and these are the only two I can find. The skil is 139 and Bosch is 179. The skil does come with some more extras like a miter gauge. I'll just be using it to make box joints for jewelry boxes, do some round over and ogies, cut some dados etc. I am on a budget so I may go with the skil especially with the extras you get. I had a skil table and router before but recently sold it after I got my new craftsman setup a month ago. The skil router I had before was terrible and the switch on the table wasn't ideal but they have corrected that now. So I haven't had bad experiences with the skil table except my old one had the broken switch and 5/8 miter slot. But the Bosch looks really nice and it's Bosch lol. Anyone ever own one of these or try one out? Also I may try to make some cabinets for my house with it so not sure if it will be fine with that
Hi - IMO, the most cost effective deal going on router tables right now is the Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Table-with-Stand/T10432

If you haven't got room to leave it set up, just set it across a couple of sawhorses, no rule says you have to use the stand. It has a good size table at 24x~32, includes the fence, dust collection, t-slots and standard miter slot. Actually, the thing is virtually identical to the MLCS table that sells for around $180 without the stand.:smile:
You probably would want to add an external power switch to the grizzly table though.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8241

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jschaben said:
Hi - IMO, the most cost effective deal going on router tables right now is the Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Table-with-Stand/T10432

If you haven't got room to leave it set up, just set it across a couple of sawhorses, no rule says you have to use the stand. It has a good size table at 24x~32, includes the fence, dust collection, t-slots and standard miter slot. Actually, the thing is virtually identical to the MLCS table that sells for around $180 without the stand.:smile:
You probably would want to add an external power switch to the grizzly table though.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8241
That does look like a good deal. Keeping it set up isn't a problem. I was planning to have my router station stay put up and designated in my shop. Do you know of any retailers that sell this or is it an online kinda thing?

·
John
3,028 Posts
That does look like a good deal. Keeping it set up isn't a problem. I was planning to have my router station stay put up and designated in my shop. Do you know of any retailers that sell this or is it an online kinda thing?
They have retail outlets but only 3 or 4 in the country, Pennsylvania, western Missouri and somewhere in the northwest, around Seattle maybe. Check there homepage for locations. They don't sell through the usual high traffic retailers as far as I know. Quite a few guys have their equipment though, including bandsaws, table saws, planers, jointers, belt sanders...... etc. Usually get pretty good reviews, both the equipment and their customer service.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jschaben said:
They have retail outlets but only 3 or 4 in the country, Pennsylvania, western Missouri and somewhere in the northwest, around Seattle maybe. Check there homepage for locations. They don't sell through the usual high traffic retailers as far as I know. Quite a few guys have their equipment though, including bandsaws, table saws, planers, jointers, belt sanders...... etc. Usually get pretty good reviews, both the equipment and their customer service.
Thanks I'll definitely check their stuff out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jschaben said:
I just checked out that Kreg top:eek:... $180 and no fence, add $199 for the fence.
Yeah that's well out of my price range right now for a table. I figure something 150 or less that is flat and has a fence that will lock down with a standard miter gauge will do for what I'll be using it for. Maybe one day I can afford a high dollar router table setup but today isn't that day lol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stephens73 said:
Here is the one I am looking at, but still debating on building my own vs buying one. This is ready to go and comes with a fence.
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-001-Contractor-Benchtop/dp/B00002242E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=PJLC827C1HWR&coliid=I2H6N761PHOIE5
I've done my research on those and that table is top notch. I thought about waiting to get that one. That would be a good buy. I actually just read a table router ranking thing and they had that one ranked number one for tables in that category

·
where's my table saw?
31,223 Posts
Back to the Kreg table

This one:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-PRS1020-24-inch-32-inch-Precision/dp/B000VRNJQY/"]
[/ame] Amazon.com: Kreg PRS1020 24-inch x 32-inch Precision Router Table Top: Home Improvement

You can make a simple fence for that table with out all the bells and whistles. Two pieces of stock, glued at 90 degrees, about 2" wide x 1/2" thick as long as the table....BAM you're done! A bolt hole on either end, 2 threaded T handles to hold it down...Bam you're done.

The fence doesn't have to be parallel to the table edge on a router table, it just has to cover most of the cutter AND by slowly moving/pivoting the fence into the rotating cutter you get a Zero clearance hole for that cutter which is safer and will have no tear out.

http://www.routerforums.com/ Check it out!:thumbsup:
That's the type of fence recommended by the router experts here... sign up for free just like WWT. Everything about router and tables you could ask for.

You can add a T track later or immediately for feather boards and such. They make aluminum extruded fences with all that built in, but as you see, some are expensive. There are some that aren't:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/routertableFence.htm

This is a great place to get almost any accessories for woodworking! :yes: They even have router tables in all price ranges:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/routerTables.htm

You can also make router table, but the most difficult part is the hole for the plate and getting a good plate to hold the router with lots of inserts. Many guys here have made their own. Some are as basic as a sheet of ply, with a hole for the cutters to come through, router mounted on the underside and a clamp on fence. So what ever way you choose good luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went ahead and bought the skil table
Today. It sets up well and isn't bad. I thought id take this over the Bosch because the mounting
Plate is about 1/16 lower than the table and the skil is flush. I think it will work just fine for the stuff I'll be using it for. Here's a pic of the craftsman I'm now selling and a pic of the new skil table

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.