Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make base moulding for a 12" diameter coloumn.
It will take 3 x 1-1/2 disc that I will glue up then cut to a circle.
I found router bits for the profiles I want, but I do not feel too sure of myself freehanding this disc on the table top, I will have to use a bearing because it's round? Any advice would be great!

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
I have made column base before don't get worried you can do it too. I glued the blank, marked and drilled a 1/4" center hole, and used this as the pivot for a circle cutting jig on the band saw. After that I place them on a stationary 1/4" pin with 2 washer under it to let it spin freely, no oil it may ruin your finish. This let me sand them with a beltsander, using it to spin and sand the base at the same time making them very uniform. I didn't have a problem using the table router, just take your time and make a few passes to remove the material instead of one big bite. Only have a little more bit then you need past the fence this if for safty and let your dust collector still work. Hope that helps and good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I will try it, concidering I got pricies of $650. for the trim. The post is 100 years old, I priced a replcment fiberglass coloum for $300.If I can do it myself I will be happy.
I don't think I can use a fence on the table because my piece will be round. I saw a bearing set with 4 different sizes, by starting with the big one and working down to the small one, I should be able to skim a little at a time?
Still I can't see how I can controll the disc from taking off, should I place a dowel on the bed someplace that I can pivit off of?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts