Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you rather build a router table or make your own? Buy a Kreg router table or build your own?

·
7,222 Posts
I did something in between. I purchased a commercial top and fence and made my own frame. This allowed me to make it for my desired height, and also to incorporate decent dust collection.

Workbench Tool Furniture Table Machine

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was just making the same choice and bought the Kreg.
Haven't gotten to use it yet just got it put together yesterday.
The stand is super strong and easy to put together, the top is nice and easy also, the fence is a litter harder to put together but not to hard. Just a couple of things kind of confusing.
I'm pleased so far.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If I wanted a router table, I'd probably build my own, just because I'd enjoy it.

However, my shop is cramped for space, so I added a router plate insert to the right extension wing on my table saw. I just ordered a miter gage channel for it, which I'll add soon.

(The jig on the saw in the picture is something I just put together to cut the profile on a raised panel for a door on a cabinet I'm working on. I used a molding head in the saw)

Attachments

·
Banned
615 Posts
My opinion, if I could afford a high end table I would buy one. If I had the budget for a high end top/fence combo I would buy one, and build a cabinet. I don't have the money for it.

I was throwing out a TV stand, but while it sat in the garage it was a nice extra bench with storage, just too short. I also had a melamine board I was clamping down and using as a router table. What a pita. So I decided to slap some plywood on the stand, my melamine on that, and make it more useable. It was meant to be temporary, but it's come in very useful and may just stick around for a while.

I did buy a rockler table insert however.

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I can't see paying what some of these table companies want. I was looking the other day and saw a 1200 dollar router table combo...no router included. That's more money than most guys spend on an entire table saw....and 1/4 of the parts.

·
John
3,028 Posts
All kinds of people = all kinds of tables. From extreme minimalist to extreme extravagance. Some will have nothing to do with miter slots or t-slots and some wont work without them. Just depends. About the only thing mandatory on a router table is a router. :yes:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Bought the Rockler table top with a lift and built the cabinet... works like a charm. I really like the precision of lift and top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts