Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to make a router table in school in welding. I have to make it out I all steel. I came up with plans it's a cabinet on the bottom with a chip box two compartments beside it and one under it. I priced everything out it came out close to 400 bucks with all the sheet metal and the mdf top laminated with a rockler router plate and t tracks for the mdf fence to slide on. Do you think this is to expensive? How much has your home made router tables cost you If you don't mind saying? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It depends on the design, choice of router mounting plate and other hardware. I'm in the process of finishing up mine, a Norm Abrams style cabinet made of 3/4" oak ply containing seven small bit size drawers and three larger full extension drawers. I easily have $400 invested in it with the Woodpeckers mounting plate, drawer glides, wood, fence hardware, casters, dust collection hardware, etc...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the plans. Sorry if the quality isn't great. It's going to be made out of 1.5" and 1" angle iron and 16 gauge sheet metal. With peach tree mini t tracks and a rockler router plate. I'm going to make the chip box have a plexi glass front so I can see in there. The compartment door faces are going to be made out of wood. I have yet to determine that. If you have any suggestions I would love them.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am just finishing up a router table. 36" x 22" 1 1/2" thick desk top. Particle board and laminate. Nice flat and smooth. $7 at a Habitat restore. Woodpecker 3/8" aluminum plate off ebay, slightly used, (Barely) and bearing mortising bit & shipping. $80 Fence is solid oak with Birch slider plates. (free from local lumber yard scrap) Stand is 2" x 4" pine framing. $12. I even found a flexible neck light (Free) Incra Fence T-track and miter tracks, from Woodcraft, $30 Bolts and finish (Linseed oil) $20

So all together, I have around $150 into my table. I tried it out tonight and it is perfect for what I will ever need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
jbwhitford Another thing to think about. Go around to metal shops. Most will give you metal for school projects. Lumber yards or woodworking shops.
My son built a sand blasting cabinet, large one in welding class. All the metal he got for free from a couple of small metal working shops. He even got it painted for free at a powder coat shop. He entered it in Lincoln Welding Co. contest and won 3rd place nationals. His cost for things he couldn't get for free, $50.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I plan on having somewhere between 400-550 in my table including the lift when i'm all done.

2 sheets of 3/4 plywood - 90
1 sheet of mdf - 35
1 sheet of Laminate - 25
1 sheet of drawer material - 50
Drawer slides - 50
Hinges - 20
Plexiglass - 10
Casters - 20
Hardwood edging - 50
Lift - 190

So 400 doesn't seem excessive.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gregad said:
jbwhitford Another thing to think about. Go around to metal shops. Most will give you metal for school projects. Lumber yards or woodworking shops. My son built a sand blasting cabinet, large one in welding class. All the metal he got for free from a couple of small metal working shops. He even got it painted for free at a powder coat shop. He entered it in Lincoln Welding Co. contest and won 3rd place nationals. His cost for things he couldn't get for free, $50.
The school requires us to buy the metal for the project through the school or I would try what you said. I guess I'm just torn between what I really want and what I can afford. I have te price sheet at home for all my costs I'll post them when I get back.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Totally up to you....plywood would be cheaper, hardwood would look better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If done properly a hardwood drawer front shouldn't warp. I used plywood for my drawer fronts. Hardwood was used for the face frame and will be used for the banding on the top. Still waiting for my mounting plate and track to come in to do the top of mine. I actually started this project almost a year ago as my first woodworking project. Stopped after I got the bare carcass done to do other projects and just now getting around to finishing it. My drawer fronts paid dearly for my early mistakes in squaring the cabinet carcass, but it's shop furniture :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Try to upload a few pictures for you of what I just built.
Can you just build the frame at school and enclose it in after you get it home?
NICE WORK !!!

Don't suppose you posted a "build thread" somewhere on the Forum? :huh:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cut the metal for it all today and submitted the bill sheet to the school so it's final. I'll post pictures of how it's coming along when I work on it everyday if you guys want.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll be something close to what Brandon posted but metal with hardwood doors I have yet to decided what wood to use but I'll cross that road when I come to it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tacked the frame together today there is three sections. I have to fully weld it tomorrow and grind it down smooth before I put the legs on. I might get them on by Wednesday. The top section has holes in it to mount the mdf. My router plate insert is supposed to be here by Wednesday. And the t tracks are supposed to be here by Friday I think. I'll post more as I go along.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looking good. Interesting build.

I'm jealous of your delivery time on the track. Both my dad and I have had trouble getting track. He had to wait over two weeks when he ordered his from Rockler a while back; I'm waiting for 2 1/2 weeks now from Woodpeckers. I finally told them to ship me my plate so I could have at least something tangible from the order they already charged me for. :huh:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered it on amazon. I think it's a off brand but still I was going to off rockler but there were back ordered for awhile. It's called peach tree and it's 20 buck per 48 inches.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts