Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I made a big mistake of buying a router table. With all the money I spent on my router table maybe I should have gotten a pretty nice shaper instead. Is there any reason why one would not buy a shaper?

My dad had a shaper when I was a kid, but I was always afraid of it. I used all of his tools while he was out on the job working when I was 10 and I only turned on the shaper once for only a second.

I never was interested in a shaper since, but I was just watching Norm Abrams using one on YouTube and thought I should have bought that instead. Who the heck told me to buy a router table anyway. :shifty::laughing:

·
where's my table saw?
29,621 Posts
they are very different, but similar

similar in that they both have a vertical shaft that spins. However, this topic has been cover at least 10 times here.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/shaper-vs-router-table-differances-54663/

No you didn't screw up. Here's why. A router spins smaller cutters at very fast speed, 8,000 RPMs to 22,000 RPMs, because that's the way they work best. A shaper will spin quite large cutters at only 2 speeds 7000 RPMs or 10,000 RPMs.

The router has a collet for the cutters, a shaper has a shaft and then you can use cutters with a hole through the center, called the bore and a nut on top to secure them.

Shaper cutters are more expensive as stated. Router cutters can come up from the bottom of a panel and make stopped dados or grooves, not so with a shaper unless you are on the edge of the
board.

Shapers are more for large cutters in a production setting like making 1 3/4 to 2 /38" thick rail and stile entry doors, not 3/4" cabinet doors. Routers are noisy even when not cutting, shapers are quiet, smooth and more powerful and yes, more dangerous.

For a woodworker who is not doing production work a router table is just fine. RELAX. :yes:

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bill, And sorry for the double topic didn't see the other one or I would have added to it.:blush:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts