Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally saved enough of my fun money to go get a Rigid 4512 TS that I have been wanting for some time now. This will also happen while I am effectively remodeling my storage area in the back of my garage. I use my garage for motorcycle parking as well as my woodshop with the bikes removed so the bulk of my tools will be stored in the back in a shed that is attached to the garage and has a doorway opening leading to the garage so the tools can easily move between the two on mobile bases.
I've wanted a router table of some kind for a while now but as the table saw has space for a router insert, I'm curious if it is better to use the table saw as a combo table or build a separate router table with wheels that I can store in the back room as well? I don't do a terrible amount of woodworking, but I do enough to justify this new table saw. I already have a router, but if I really like the table mounted setup I may get a second one so I have the table mounted router and a freehand router without having to go through too much hassle of removing and reinstalling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey there! I have that same tablesaw and, for the price, I love it. I would say to go ahead and make your own router table insert. I did and am very happy with it. For starters, it's a space saver. But it also adds more surface area to the saw itself (if you remove the router fence, which incidentally, I also built myself). You save a ton of money, which might allow you to get a nice router lift insert.

ForumRunner_20131005_133231.jpg

ForumRunner_20131005_133317.jpg

ForumRunner_20131005_133346.jpg

ForumRunner_20131005_133415.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just realized that first picture I posted was before I routed the recess for the lift.

But in the other pictures, you can see the T-track slots for the fence. Because it butts to the metal top of the TS, I routed the slots longer in the front so I'm able to remove the fence easily.

For the miter slot, I don't recommend the one I used. (It's the blue aluminum from Rockler.) The reason for this is that the plywood base has some give so the feather boards don't have as much grab. Instead, get one of those that has the T track slot or the dual miter T track one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought the kreg steel frame and built a wooden enclosure around it with doors to open in front. That and a jessem lift, incra fence, and casters from HD and I love it. Ran a small shop vac hose from the fence to the cabinet and I just vacuum it up once in a while.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there! I have that same tablesaw and, for the price, I love it. I would say to go ahead and make your own router table insert. I did and am very happy with it. For starters, it's a space saver. But it also adds more surface area to the saw itself (if you remove the router fence, which incidentally, I also built myself). You save a ton of money, which might allow you to get a nice router lift insert.

View attachment 80457

View attachment 80458

View attachment 80459

View attachment 80460
Thanks Alex, thats a real nice looking setup you have there. A lift is an option I've wanted as well, just not sure if I will buy a commercial lift or build my own. That Incra lift is definitely out of my budget right now, but wouldn't be a bad addition later on.
What is the copper pipe for on the back side of your table saw? I imagine its an outfeed bar of some sort, but is it just the pipe or do you have an outfeed table or something that attaches to it when you need it?

Will

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say the router insert also. Recently I quickly threw one in mine, planning on eventually redoing it. I previously had a benchtop router table that worked well, just got tired of it taking up space.
Another nice setup, I'm really thinking the table insert on the saw is the way to go now. I'm looking forward to also coming up with a storage solution to hold the router fence and any other small items on the saw base so I have everything close by.

Will

·
bzguy
581 Posts
This "built on the jobsite" model has a 2' X 4' top and is entirely built for the cost of 1 sheet of 3/4" Ply, screws and glue, and a couple pieces of solid scrap.
Built so fence can be "boxed-in" for dust collection later.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Will. The copper pipe is indeed part of my outfeed system. I have two supports on each side of the saw with the pipe connecting them in the back. Then I have a folding outfeed table that slides along the pipe, but is small enough to store away easily. However, I am going to replace it with black pipe, as the copper pipe isn't strong enough and sags a bit. The table is built from plans, here is a photo of it. Since this was the first part of my shop that I made, the insert wasn't built yet. The cool part about the insert is, you can just open a hole and attach the router. When you get a lift, you expand the opening. You can use the same insert.

ForumRunner_20131006_103602.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts