Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at some router table plans and the ready-to-go tables at Rockler. I notice a "T" track (or combo track) in the long direction, for miter gauge/hold-downs/etc., seems to be pretty standard, but the fence hold-downs seem to be "T" bolts in slots that go all the way through the table.

Any reason why I couldn't use "T" track and "T" bolts to mount the fence also?

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I would advise against using a "T" track to hold the fence in place.

Getting the front 'hold down' tack very close to parallel with the fence is important, most of the jigs that you build will be square to the fence. The jig will ride in the track and you'll square it to the fence. If the fence can move (As with a "T" track) it will and that will cause difficulty with your jigs.

Besides, bolts through the table top are cheaper and probably much better.

It's not to say you can't, just there are better alternatives.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Bolt through because you won't be moving it great distances.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I had one fence that used the bolt through method and very shortly changed it to t-tracks. Just easier for me to adjust and remove the fence when necessary. Any jigs I have made that use the miter track incorporate their own fence. That way there is no independent variable for controlling the stock position relative to the bit. JMHO but using a fence in conjunction with the miter track is an inherently bad idea, be it on a table saw or a router table. :smile:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the input guys.

Want to make sure we're all on the same page. My issue is the bolts that hold the fence to the table - and whether there's any issue with using "T" track vs. slots that go all the way through the table.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why the fence would move if clamped down on "T" track but wouldn't move if clamped down on slots going through the table (or routed "T" slots as used on Norm's table).

My interest in the "T" track is because I'm thinking of a torsion box table where through slots would be more difficult to form than they would on a solid table.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Appreciate the input guys.

Want to make sure we're all on the same page. My issue is the bolts that hold the fence to the table - and whether there's any issue with using "T" track vs. slots that go all the way through the table.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why the fence would move if clamped down on "T" track but wouldn't move if clamped down on slots going through the table (or routed "T" slots as used on Norm's table).

My interest in the "T" track is because I'm thinking of a torsion box table where through slots would be more difficult to form than they would on a solid table.
I don't have any issues with the fence moving when clamped in a t-track. I do use the commercial, aluminum extruded tracks from Rockler/peachtree/etc. Routed in t-tracks will have a tendency to wear out with the frequency of the loosen/tighten cycles of a fence.:smile:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Been looking at some router table plans and the ready-to-go tables at Rockler. I notice a "T" track (or combo track) in the long direction, for miter gauge/hold-downs/etc., seems to be pretty standard, but the fence hold-downs seem to be "T" bolts in slots that go all the way through the table.

Any reason why I couldn't use "T" track and "T" bolts to mount the fence also?
check out this site, http://www.oak-park.com/ and join the http://www.routerforums.com/

this site is all about routers and tables ect, the best ever bob and rick has been doing router for yrs, now but are retiring, but the members know about how to do router's work ect i been a member 2006 and have the router workshop router table with out all the T stuff and can build any thing with out all the other item's, thanks for looking del

·
Registered
63 Posts
My router table

I built my router table from scratch. I gleaned from other designs but ultimately built my own. I will post pictures later (at work right now).

I built the table much higher and bigger than most. Reason for higher is simple, I am 6'5" and bending down was not comfortable. Bigger so I could handle my Incra fence and do large panels.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I made my router table, I used t-tracks and t-bolts. I can take it all the way off, and move it all I want. I like the tracks better. just me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts