Woodworking Talk banner

Router Table Build

7K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  JimmyB1775 
#1 ·
I decided to make a thread on this after a number of steps had already been completed. The most important however are still to come. This is the top being glued. The top is two 3/4" MDF glued together and hit up with a trim bit to keep the edges true. The edges are maple. They'll be rounded over due to a little snag with the trim bit. :( I'll keep updating this with new stuff.

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 ·
So I have a question. The top is high pressure laminate from Nevamar. How much sanding with this thing withstand before the white starts to disappear? I'm asking because I wanted to sand the maple more but didnt want to mess up the edges of the white. What do you think?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Yah. I have a fence bracket. I'll probably use some 1/2 plywood. Maybe MDF. I want a 3" face with UHMW and maybe a t-track above it. I have some left over.

Why do you ask? Got some free tips burning a hole in your pocket?

Discussion starter · #16 ·
So I start the fence tomorrow and had this CRAZY idea today. I have this aluminum 1/2" rod (2 actually) and linear bearings (4) to fit. How cool would it be if the table face had a large groove in it on either side of the t-track with the aluminum rod mounted in it below or flush with the surface. I could mount the fence to the bearings and the fence would slide back and forth and clamp down with the cam clamps. The only issue is that the bearings and their housing is an inch tall and the table is only 1 1/2" thick. Makes me want to start all over again to make it work.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Did some more work today. All disappointing. A guide board slipped when making the primary face opening so there's an extra 1/8" on one side of the router plate.
The UHMW I got off eBay is crappy and melts a little on the table saw and melts a lot with a router.
The aluminum fence bracket I ordered came with no bit opening so I spent an hour with a dremel, a hacksaw and a file trying to make a decent one.
I'll post pics when I can.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Radio silence from everyone here. Still posting progress though. The cabinet was already made. It's meant to be small. I added a hinge to the top to make bit changes easier. I used a skil router as the permanent router for the table. I have a bosch for everything else.

Table Furniture Room Plywood Machine

Table Tool Machine Furniture

Table Wood Workbench Plywood Games

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.