Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
fixmeup2012 said:
If money were no object, what router table / accessories would you buy and why?
I'd like to know as well,, though with we $$ is a partial consideration.

Mark

·
Registered
517 Posts
Maybe it would be better to make your own simple table and spend the $$$ on the right bits and the right jigs???

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Grunkle Stan said:
Maybe it would be better to make your own simple table and spend the $$$ on the right bits and the right jigs???
I've toyed with that idea & then buy a nice lift for it.

Mark

·
where's my table saw?
27,908 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
27,908 Posts
micro adjustments are so easy

Using a lift, there is no "lifting" required. You don't change your fence set up and all the time it took to get it just right with a lift. My Jessem's have an elevation lock which holds the height where ever you set it. Others may vibrate up or down a bit during use. DAMHIK .:thumbdown:

The built in height adjustments on some routers like Triton , Milwaukee and Freud may work fine ...I donno? but the precision threads and brass nuts on the Jessem are hard to beat.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Using a lift, there is no "lifting" required. You don't change your fence set up and all the time it took to get it just right with a lift. My Jessem's have an elevation lock which holds the height where ever you set it. Others may vibrate up or down a bit during use. DAMHIK .:thumbdown:

The built in height adjustments on some routers like Triton , Milwaukee and Freud may work fine ...I donno? but the precision threads and brass nuts on the Jessem are hard to beat.
I don't understand how you do that when changing bits, especially from above the table.

I have a Freud 3000 with the built in lift in my table. The lift works very well but is not superior to a purpose built lift for a couple of reasons. One is that the height setting will change slightly when engaging the plunge lock. Not much, I didn't realize it until I installed a Wixey height gauge. Second - There have been occasions where the height adjustment is blocked from above the table by the fence. They aren't frequent but do occur. Still, for the $300+ for a good lift..... I dunno, haven't had much experience with "unlimited" budgets.:smile:

·
where's my table saw?
27,908 Posts
correct

I don't understand how you do that when changing bits, especially from above the table.
.:smile:
I was making the point about height adjustments on a router attached to a plate that you had to lift out of the table..... a basic setup for sure. With a lift or a router with a built in height adjustment, it's just a turn of the crank to change the height.
Sorry, I wasn't more clear. If you're using a rub collar it's less of an issue to get the fence back "on". :smile:

·
John
3,028 Posts
I was making the point about height adjustments on a router attached to a plate that you had to lift out of the table..... a basic setup for sure. With a lift or a router with a built in height adjustment, it's just a turn of the crank to change the height.
Sorry, I wasn't more clear. If you're using a rub collar it's less of an issue to get the fence back "on". :smile:
I've never subscribed to the "lift the whole shootin match out" to do that stuff. I was thinking about matched R&S bits where you need to change bits and you really don't want to change either the fence or the bit height. I'm not comfortable enough with the repeatability of the 3000s' built in lift repeatability. I get around that with a rubber grommet in the bottom of the collet so the bits have a common reference point for the height and use stop blocks to bring the fence back where needs to be. Bent wrench will get me in to change the bits without messing with the bit height setting. :smile:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jschaben said:
I've never subscribed to the "lift the whole shootin match out" to do that stuff. I was thinking about matched R&S bits where you need to change bits and you really don't want to change either the fence or the bit height. I'm not comfortable enough with the repeatability of the 3000s' built in lift repeatability. I get around that with a rubber grommet in the bottom of the collet so the bits have a common reference point for the height and use stop blocks to bring the fence back where needs to be. Bent wrench will get me in to change the bits without messing with the bit height setting. :smile:
As far as the setting of the fence for rails and stiles bits I don't see this as a problem because the bits have a bearing on them. Also, I always have to readjust the bit height for the rail bits as I use a sled for this cut. I just do some trial cuts until I get a god fit.
Tom

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
John,

That's a shame that your Freud 3000 moves when you lock it down. I'm going to check my Triton to see if it has that same bad habit.

Edit - I just checked the Triton with a Wixey height gauge. The bit moves when I lock it but just .002". I can live with that.

Bill

·
John
3,028 Posts
John,

That's a shame that your Freud 3000 moves when you lock it down. I'm going to check my Triton to see if it has that same bad habit.

Edit - I just checked the Triton with a Wixey height gauge. The bit moves when I lock it but just .002". I can live with that.

Bill
Hi Bill, mine moves about 5. Not enough for most tasks. Where it gets to be an issue is on reversible bits, ie reversible glue joints. The error doubles. With the Wixey, I just take a reading where I want it, lock it down and see how much it moves and adjust accordingly so it is where I want it when locked down.
I think that is probably a common error with plungers that use that type of locking system. I don't think the lock-on-release types do that but they would be a certified PIA in a table.

Tom - I don't use a sled so once the height is set, it is set. I do use a setup block initially. The fence gets moved as I usually do those in 2 or 3 passes. I set the fence up to the bearing and put stop blocks behind it. Now I can move the fence forward and back anywhere I want until I hit the stop blocks.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Now here's a question: When you lock down a router lift, does it move? I realize there may be different answers to this as there are different brand of router lifts.

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts