Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put together a router sled today on my table saw. Works great! Used my inverted router base as the router and mounted glide bars on my Besimere arms. I can plane out 30" by 7' planks!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I setup the saw so the table is flat to about .020 inch (along with the arms). The sled I made was an idea from a Utube vid. He adjusted his sled to the wood. I adjust the wood to my sled using a shim here or there. I used a 1 1/2" straight bit to do the routing and as long as I don't push down and only across, I get very minimal bit marks and those sand out very very quickly. I did a full 30" by 72" edge glued slab and after it was done it was flat flat (laying a 6 foot staight edge on it to check) and it took about 30 min including sanding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool

I've got a similar setup that I use for planing very uneven slabs of wood. A trick I learned is when I have to take off more than a 1/2" to flatten it out, I'll route out reference slots with the router (see attached), then do most of the stock removal with a power planer. Also, I've had excellent luck with dished bits instead of straight ones.

-Danny @stemfurniture
www.stemfurniture.com

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
bittiker said:
I've got a similar setup that I use for planing very uneven slabs of wood. A trick I learned is when I have to take off more than a 1/2" to flatten it out, I'll route out reference slots with the router (see attached), then do most of the stock removal with a power planer. Also, I've had excellent luck with dished bits instead of straight ones.

-Danny @stemfurniture
www.stemfurniture.com
Looks like my jig. Lol
I used mine to flatten some oak burl and Russian olive burl. I used a Diablo 3/4 strait bit.

image-2787842327.jpg

image-2938077970.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the Big Sled :laughing: This counter top is solid oak 5' wide, 9' long, and 2 1/2" thick it took 4 of us to lift it out and get it to the shop to rework it. It had not been properly sealed by whoever made it and curled up over a 1/2" in the last sections. You can see where we split it and cut in new oak. The final sleding was to true it up and we only took off 1/8" overall from the top. One pass with the belt sander and a little orbital work and its looking good :smile:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts