Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a table top I need to level out and it's 23" wide, so no dice on the planer. :sad: Was thinking of making a router sled but not sure what bit size would be best to use.

My woods are rock maple and padauk and while I really want to use a 1/2" bit, I'm thinking that might be too aggressive and maybe a 1/4" or 3/8" might be safer.

Also should I have any worry about grain direction with this? With grain, cross grain, against grain? And similarly, are glue points going to have much risk of catching a bit and breaking/tearing out? Not sure how clean this process may be. Videos on youtube make it look really simple though.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I have a table top I need to level out and it's 23" wide, so no dice on the planer. :sad: Was thinking of making a router sled but not sure what bit size would be best to use.

My woods are rock maple and padauk and while I really want to use a 1/2" bit, I'm thinking that might be too aggressive and maybe a 1/4" or 3/8" might be safer.

Also should I have any worry about grain direction with this? With grain, cross grain, against grain? And similarly, are glue points going to have much risk of catching a bit and breaking/tearing out? Not sure how clean this process may be. Videos on youtube make it look really simple though.
What size router can you use. If it has the oomph, I would use the widest bit I could, not less than ¾".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size router can you use. If it has the oomph, I would use the widest bit I could, not less than ¾".
Well my neighbor said he has a 2hp I could use. But if not I have a 1.5hp in the basement.

So probably I'll go with a 3/4" then, given what others have said as well. Routers and I have a history, so I don't feel comfortable with using a 1" bit.

As always, thanks for the feedback everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts