Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The wife has been asking what I want for christmas. The one tool I've had my eye on for a while has been a router plane. Normally I would scour ebay for a used stanley. Since, they wife wants to buy something I'm thinking maybe a new model.;) Does anyone have opinions on either the Veritas ot Lie-Nelson router planes? They are both about the same price, 150. Should I stick with the older stanley?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I still have my Stanley #71 I bought new in 1962 ($25.00) and still use it. They are getting harder to find in good shape and with all the parts. I would go with the Veritas.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like old tools,
But if you want top of the line, work right out of the box, both Lie-Nielsen and Veritas are great. But for the money I could get 2 maybe 3 Stanly's, granted parts are harder to find. You could even have two set up differently thus eliminating change over time..my excuse for another plane ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the Veritas. But either one will be fine. I don't know if you want closed or open mouth, but Veritas has several blade options to consider. LN has a few different plane bodies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same quandary when making my master list of desired tools a couple years ago. The Veritas made the list.

I think I prefer the closed toe. That's what it came down to for me. The visibility provided by the open toe of the Lie-Nielsen versus the stability provided by the open toe of the Veritas. (Also want the mini version of the Veritas, or the small Veritas router ... haven't decided which.)

That's just me, and I wouldn't take my word for it as I've not used either one. I bet I would enjoy 'em both!

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I ended up putting the Veritas on my Christmas list, but I'm sure a LN would not be disappointing. The variety of blades and inlay accessories made me think it'd be more versatile in the long run.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I ended up putting the Veritas on my Christmas list, but I'm sure a LN would not be disappointing. The variety of blades and inlay accessories made me think it'd be more versatile in the long run.
The selection of irons and the fact that Veritas irons fit Stanley Planes is what I based my decision on. I also bought the miniature version, and find it very useful for truing hinge mortices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts