Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting my feet wet with woodworking and don't have a clue for most things yet. I would like to start off making canes that are referred to as twisted wood by some. I figure I need a router for this but don't know what kind, might as be able to do it with a lathe. I'd like it for use in my home so I am not looking to become one of my electrical company's most valued customers. I'm including a link to a picture of what I mean by twisted wood, it's like a3 dimensional spiral.
http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/barnwood-walking-cane/
any guidance pointing me to the right machine would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
This may look simple, but I think it will take more effort, skills and potential tools than you may expect.

I have a router mounted in a router table, a small and large hand held router and a lathe.

I could see adding the curved edges on the handle on my router table. Feels similar to the totes I make for my hand plane restorations.

The stick/cane portion is not so simple. I see at least two diameters, perhaps 3, and the lower diameter looks to be tapered.

I would not attempt to try this on a router.

The twisted portion seems to be wider. I can see turning the overall shape on the lathe and then using a microplane to shape what you refer to as the twists which to me are examples of fluting.

Wrap pieces of masking tape around the section then mark the edges with e.g., sharpie pen. Remove the masking tape and use the microplane in between the lines. Good to leave the lines for visual reference.

If you have not heard of microplanes, this is the web site. Also sold in other sites, but this is the manufacturer site.

http://us.microplane.com/microplanewoodworkingshapingrasps.aspx

If you want to get a lathe, worth looking at the many threads in the Woodturning forum on suggestions for lathes, getting started in turning, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but that seems pretty difficult for me to do just yet. I'm thinking maybe a router a something that pushes the cane forward as it roatates. the cane itself is oval instead of round so I know that makes it more complicated

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks, but that seems pretty difficult for me to do just yet. I'm thinking maybe a router a something that pushes the cane forward as it roatates. the cane itself is oval instead of round so I know that makes it more complicated
If the cane is round I would not want to be attempting to jury rig something to hold it to a fence while rotating and pushing forward.

If the cane is oval, it sounds like it would be more dangerous than I would want to attempt. Routers spin rather fast. You are looking at a decent radius cutter, which means more force if the bit decides to dig in a little deeper than you expect.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts