Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

A simple task, but my tools are limited and I have no router experience:

I'll be making picture frames for paintings, and would like to use my router to accomplish the rabbet/inset feature. Take a look at my "blueprint" to see what I'm trying to accomplish--the drawing displays just how I want the finished product, before I start the mitre process.

As you can see, I'm using pretty small wood (off the shelf stuff from Lowes, about 1.5" x 0.75" and several feet long).

-I don't have table saw, shoulder plane, or any fancy equipment. Just a mitre/chop saw, a router (about 20 years old, nothing fancy), hand saws, chisels, etc.

-I don't have a router table, although I'd be willing to build an inset into plywood over a garbage can to serve as one for this process. I wouldn't know how to do that just yet...

-I'm making about 2 dozen of these frames, so, investment up front into jig-building and whatnot for consistency might be best... ?

So, having NEVER used a router, how would you go about doing this in my corner of the garage? I bought a straight bit for the router, but will that be sufficient? Where do I start? I just can't see the steps to get from A to B safely, with consistent results.

Thanks for taking the time. The other picture shows what a finished frame looks like. Imagine setting a painting done on MDF into the back of it.

-Todd

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
You could do it with a table mounted router and a large (1" ) straight bit and a few passes for width and two for depth. That's certainly not the method i'd choose, though. You really need a table saw.
But if all you have is a router.......
Once you get the router mounted and a stable fence installed, you'd set the fence so that you'd cut away nearly the full 1" width of the cutter and 1/8" deep. Then creep up on the 1 1/4 width. Repeat with a 1/8" deeper cut.
I would advise using feather boards and a pusher device.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have a question. Why does the rabbet have to be 1 1/4" wide?

A standard rabbeting bit would go 1/4" deep and 1/2" wide just using the bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'd like the paintings to be close to the front, not set way back against the wall. It gives more room to attach a cable for hanging them on the wall, and also I think it looks better.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I'll be tinkering with this, and will post if I am successful!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I'd go the makeshift router table route you mentioned.

Something like this:

You could whip up a simple fence with just a straight piece of wood and some clamps(you could probably even use screws, but you'll need to move it a couple times). A few passes with your straight bit should clear the rabbet pretty easily.

Just unscrew the base plate for your router, use it as a template to drill screw holes on the plywood, and use the same screws to pin the router to the ply(you'll need to recess the screws slightly).

Make yourself a push stick out of scrap wood and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well, I'd like the paintings to be close to the front, not set way back against the wall. It gives more room to attach a cable for hanging them on the wall, and also I think it looks better.
I see now, 3/4" is the face and 1 1/2" is the side. I had the wider side as the face.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts