Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sears craftsman router which I use occasionaly as I am not a serious woodworker...more of a weekend DIY'er. The rotating component that adjusts the depth of the tool is very difficult to rotate by hand as there seems to be much resistance between the rotating part and the router housing itself.

Is there any suggestion on how to lubricate this to make it easier to turn? Obviously any oil would most likely attract saw dust and make matters worse. I seen a carpenter use paraffin wax to lubricate hardwood on a old sliding closet doors that did not use rails. It looked like it was solid and wiped on with a rag. He also said it does not attract dust or dirt. Where can paraffin wax be bought?

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a sears craftsman router which I use occasionaly as I am not a serious woodworker...more of a weekend DIY'er. The rotating component that adjusts the depth of the tool is very difficult to rotate by hand as there seems to be much resistance between the rotating part and the router housing itself.

Is there any suggestion on how to lubricate this to make it easier to turn? Obviously any oil would most likely attract saw dust and make matters worse. I seen a carpenter use paraffin wax to lubricate hardwood on a old sliding closet doors that did not use rails. It looked like it was solid and wiped on with a rag. He also said it does not attract dust or dirt. Where can paraffin wax be bought?

Thanks
How about silicon spray or minerial oil?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I regularly use plain old Johnson's paste wax (available in supermarkets) on my routers. Cleans out all the built-up gunk and makes your life easier.

·
Registered
801 Posts
aonther Obvious awnser... but are you loosening the othe nut that holds the clamp tite? I've caught myself forgetting ti when it's upside down in the router table........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have cleaned up the router and base and used good old fashioned SC JOhnsons wax paste. I wiped some on and let it sit for an hour and then wiped any excess off clean. After reassembly it seems to work great. I will have to test it now with a new project of some sort. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts