Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what people do for the router dust. This is by and far the messiest tool I have. I am using a PC router with a PC dovetail jig and the dust that comes out is insane. Wondering if most people make their own unit or if there is a universal system available.

·
where's my table saw?
28,736 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I can tell you I've tried 2 factory solutions that were quite similar in construction, and neither worked worth a crap. Freud and Milwaukee both came with a vac hookup, and it was useless (looked very much like the PC pic). I have seen some some built attempts that worked when you are edge routing, but not useable on a blind cut like a dado. I've also read some posts of folks that were happy with their DW 621 (I think that's the one with built in vac connection). I've personally not used it, but to me the router is one of those tools that DC isn't going to be solved easily.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Given the variety of bits they can use and jobs a router can do, no dust collecting solution will work for every instance. I wear safety goggles and a dusk mask when the dust is bad. Let it fly and clean it up when I'm done. I keep the floor clear around my work table, and after brushing all the chips to the floor they are relatively easy to sweep up.

·
where's my table saw?
28,736 Posts
using a jig

Given the variety of bits they can use and jobs a router can do, no dust collecting solution will work for every instance. I wear safety goggles and a dusk mask when the dust is bad. Let it fly and clean it up when I'm done. I keep the floor clear around my work table, and after brushing all the chips to the floor they are relatively easy to sweep up.
When using a jig you don't need to see every cut, just follow the template. OK then, build a shroud or hood around the entire jig that snaps on and off or can be easily removed. use a 4" port for your DC. A rubber flap will allow air flow over the bumpy parts. Something like this:

OR this: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312&site=ROCKLER

·
John
3,028 Posts
Wondering what people do for the router dust. This is by and far the messiest tool I have. I am using a PC router with a PC dovetail jig and the dust that comes out is insane. Wondering if most people make their own unit or if there is a universal system available.
I think woodnthings is on the right track. Problem with dovetails is all the dust is being created below the bushing so vacuum from above would have to try and pull it past the bit and through the bushing to evacuate it. That is also trying to pull against the natural airflow of the router. I have a Rockler dovetail jig, which is a very similar design to the PC, that came with the dust collector shroud. It works very well, it does get in the way of the setup though. You might be able to fabricate something similar.:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's my solution:

This is the pic that went to the patent office, made some mods since. My inspiration was the Leigh Super VRS. (Top Tip award) and it's about as effective as the VRS.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
bladeburner said:
Here's my solution:

This is the pic that went to the patent office, made some mods since. My inspiration was the Leigh Super VRS. (Top Tip award) and it's about as effective as the VRS.
Would you mind posting how you use it? Is it fixed to...

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Like a proper bar fight.....take it outside,haha.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Would you mind posting how you use it? Is it fixed to...

Al

The router base slides the collector box along as the DTs are cut. The whole assembly is held onto the jig by gravity. If you use a jig with a locking handle, there's no need to remove the collector. If your jig requires you to tighten the nuts individually, simply pop it off/on.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
bladeburner said:
The router base slides the collector box along as the DTs are cut. The whole assembly is held onto the jig by gravity. If you use a jig with a locking handle, there's no need to remove the collector. If your jig requires you to tighten the nuts individually, simply pop it off/on.
Thanks. I like it. I'm gearing up for a DT fest. 14 drawers. Half are 10".

Al

·
where's my table saw?
28,736 Posts
You can't

Can't find a way to delete this!
You can , if no one posts after you by editing out everything and then clicking "new posts"
Once someone posts after you all you can do is type 4 characters WXYZ, none, edit, omit etc. for example and then click "submit reply" :blink:

·
where's my table saw?
28,736 Posts
this site would reaally benefit from a video capacity

I made a video on how to make the DC and how it's used, but the site wouldn't accept it, so I tried to delete the post.
Others have tried before so it's probably a software issue. :thumbdown: You will have to go to a third party host and then paste us a link.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's some pics. Some other WWrs have made the jig with just these.

The outside pieces are 1/4" higher than the box sides. The vac hole is sized to be a snug fit for any small hose you have or will buy.

The supports rest upon the tension studs. Glue on with the long support board against a workpiece mounted vertically. From then on, the jig is always clear of the workpiece, regardless of workpiece thickness.

The slot is about 1" from the back edge. A #12 X 1/2" sheet metal screw keeps the box on the support board.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts