Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Sears today to check out some mitresaws (as you might guess from my previous post) but instead I just picked up this combo:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-amp-2-hp-fixed-plunge-base-router/p-00927683000P

Only cost me 75 bucks, usually goes for 120 but website says its on sale for 101. Right now is the 'woodworkers sale' at Sears so it might be a good time to check them out.

Family Handyman rated it a best buy, and it looks like a well made set. It came with the two bases, an edge guide, has a built in led light, soft start, 2 collets, is adjustable from the top (nice for table use) and 6 adjustable speeds.

With all those features I couldn't help but think it was a steal. I'm not the biggest fan of craftsmen power tools, but for that price I couldn't resist... I'll give it a shot mounting the fixed base in a table and see how it works out; I know 2hp/12amps isn't exactly overkill for table use but I think it should work out okay if I make light passes.

If anyone out there is looking for a cheap backup or a combo kit, you might want to give your local Sears a call and see if it's on sale by you.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Larry - that is a nice router. I picked one up last March and it quickly became my favorite 2 HP. It's only shortfall I could find is the hole in the base plate is small because it comes with the ability to accept Porter Cable guide bushings. A 1/4" round over won't fit through it. The solution is pretty easy though, I just picked up one of these kits:
Amazon.com: Milescraft 1211 Base Plate Metal-Nose Bushing Set for Routers: Home Improvement

You get a full set of bushings and a baseplate with a larger center hole.

You also got a killer deal.... I paid $107 for mine. :yes:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have the same kit, Craftsman 27683. Got it on sale December 2011 for 89.99 plus tax. I also got 6% back from ebates, so not a bad deal. Seems like a decent router. I am not an expert and have used it a few times for some dados and flush trimming. I finally was able to find the 6 pack of Craftsman router bases at the Sears store recently for $20. So far so good.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have both a 1.75 and a 2.5 hp version. The 2.5 can take full depth cuts with my rail and stile bits....the 1.75 can in soft maple, but struggles with full depth cuts in harder materials.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.