Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This one is just as good. Maybe better. I can't tell, but it looks like the rockler set has the longer barrels on the bushings, like the Harbor Freight set. If true, those long barrels (the part sticking out on the bottom) are useless (IMHO). The Wood craft set and other that have the barrels about 15/64" long allow the use of 1/4" template material. As for whether it will fit your base, if the base has the common 1 3/16" hole with a small rabbit around the top edge, that's for these bushings.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Fred Hargis said:
This one is just as good. Maybe better. I can't tell, but it looks like the rockler set has the longer barrels on the bushings, like the Harbor Freight set. If true, those long barrels (the part sticking out on the bottom) are useless (IMHO). The Wood craft set and other that have the barrels about 15/64" long allow the use of 1/4" template material. As for whether it will fit your base, if the base has the common 1 3/16" hole with a small rabbit around the top edge, that's for these bushings.
Most of the bushing guides are duplicates of the ones made by Porter Cable / Guild, for the jigs they made. As such the lengths and diameters were designed to use with specific bits, dedicated to a specific jig. They had jigs for butt hinges, mortice and tennons, morticed door locks, etc.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Looks like a fair price. You can always cut down necks that are too long for your template thickness. A centering pin can be helpful to make sure the guide is centered with the router bit. Can't comment on Craftsman routers or the fit and alignment. In some rare circumstances, the ID and OD of the bushings can be critical but in the majority of uses, you just account for the given sizes. Whether you need or will ever use a complete set depends on what you do or how you want to do it. I get by with just two. I only use the bushings for special circumstances. Make sure the locking ring is tight and that the collet nut doesn't make contact, particularly when plunging.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thought I'd just tack my somewhat related question to this thread....

Why do the larger bushings in the Porter Cable model 42000 set have such long barrels? When I bought them I wasn't entirely sure how I would put them to use. I mean, gee, guide bushings would come in handy someday, right? Now I'm just starting to play with 1/4" hardboard jigs/templates and the darn things are too long. Sure, I could shorten them. But before I do that, I'd like to know the reason they are that long so I can decide whether to keep these and get others. Does anyone know why PC designed the 42000 set with the lengths they used?

PS Waaaaiiiittt..... nevermind. Question answered

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
rbk123 said:
My Rockler has this router bushing kit on sale for $37:
http://www.rockler.com/router-guide-bushing-kit

Anyone have experience with this kit and:
- is it a good buy?
- will it work with my (modern) Craftsman routers or will I need a new base plate?
- are there better kits you would recommend?
In all honesty. I would get a Porter cable base plate and drill it out to fit your router. Then you can use all their bushings and anything else designed for that router. Practically all add on's for routers are made to fit a PC.

Then when another fixture comes out using the PC bushings. You'll be able to use them too. I had a Craftsman and their bushings didn't fit or work with any other fixtures.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
John
3,028 Posts
One thing I look for in a bushing set is the inclusion of a 1" diameter bushing. Almost all include the mysterious 51/64" that I have yet to use. I suppose it is a remnant of some of the older PC jig requirements and could be used in lieu of a 20mm bushing.
As a matter of note, most of the new Craftsman routers will take the PC bushings out of the box. That is not without a few downsides. For one thing, the 1-3/16" hole required by the guide bushings limit the bit size usable considerably, a 1/4" roundover bit will not fit through it so you will need extra base plates anyway. Another thing to be aware of when buying a router that is "bushing ready" is how the bushing is mounted; adjustable adapter (such as Bosch or Hitachi) or whether the entire baseplate is adjustable. Some mount the baseplates with flat head, countersunk screws which aren't really adjustable. Loosen the screws, center the plate, tighten the screws and the tapered countersinks pull it back offcenter. An adjustable baseplate will usually use pan head screws counterbored. :smile:

Reactions: SteveEl

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
RBK,

I bought that Rockler set and had to cut one of the bushings before I could use it in my dovetail jig.

I drilled a hole in a piece of plexi that matched the outside diameter of the bushing.

Then I pushed the bushing into the hole, marked it on the other side with a very fine sharpie and cut it.

The process was a PITA So I agree with Fred. Buy the shorter bushings.

Reactions: SteveEl

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I did see where a guy shortened his by sticking them in a block of wood that was drilled to the OD of the bushing. While it was in the block, he took a belt sander to it and cut it down....still easier to buy them right length. As for the 51/64" bushing John mentioned, I've read that some hinge mortising templets use it with a 1/2" bit. I throw it in with the useless category of the long barrels.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There are a lot of threads on other forums asking about the 51/64" guide. Some comments about obsolete PC & craftsman butt hinge and/or sign templates. Best comment elsewhere was on the order of "Probably had a use once, and everyone at PC is afraid to stop including it even though no one remembers what the use was". Me, I think they just haven't thought of an alternative that would be useful to put in that part of the case. They could include a 1" OD, 1/4" barrel guide, but then they would have fewer customers who buy both sets.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Actually, I think a 7/8" would be handy at times. I do use the 1" quite a bit. Hartville tool, Lee Valley and a couple of other places will sell individual bushings so you really don't need the set. Be carefull buying individual bushings though as there are at least two different threads out there on the locknut/bushings. I kinda like the Milescraft bushings. I put one of their base plates on my newer Craftsman and use their turnlock bushings. Leaves a large enough hole for a reasonable bit size and once the base plate is centered you don't need to mess with it. Whole kit with a base plate and set of bushings is about $25 and includes an adapter for the PC style. The Milescraft won't unscrew themselves if you accidentally get contact between the bushing and the collet. If one gets Milescraft though, I recommend the brass version, the swarf can get hot enough to soften the plastic ones. DAMHIKT:smile:
Oh yeah, as far as shortening the barrels, I just got a piece of 3/16" luan and drilled a hole in it large enough to take all the bushings I was working with and used the bandsaw with the fence set such to use the luan as a depth guide. Just roll any burrs off with a screwdriver shank. :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts