Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making a cutting board for a friend. He wants a grease ring, I have never done one before. I got out the trim router and made the ring. I used a 1/4" bull nose bit 1/4" deep. He wants it deep.

Anyway, I have a few burn marks in the grooves. I am at as losses for how to sand them out. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you
Andy

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. These are a great idea, I will definitely order a set. My problem of the moment is that I am too deliver the board Monday.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried sand paper and my finger. The channel is too narrow for my finger. I rolled the sandpaper and got limited successes. I am going to get some 1/4 " Dowell and try plugging the sandpaper around that.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
Can you set the router slightly deeper and make a quicker pass. Usually when you stop or go too slow it burns. The router would be a lot less work than sanding.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
In the future I would cut your groove just a tad shy, and make a quick final pass to help reduce the burning. A clean sharp bit will help too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is what I did and it did'nt work out too badly.

I put my spigot jaws on the lathe and turned down about an inch of 1/4" Dowell a little bit. Wrapped that with double stick tape, sandpaper over that. Putt it in my drill and sanded the groove.

Whomever said that the bit may be dull was probably right. Maybe I should have used a full size router instead of a trim router. I will definitely get those scrapers.

Thank you all for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts