Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a spiral staircase, and am looking to build my own curved handrail from thin strips of oak. I know they make bending handrail, but this doesn't look too flexible to me (my min radius is about 40 "). I also have read that you get a better look (grain match) from thin laminates cut from the same piece of wood.
I need to rout the hand rail to match store bought Volute with a 6010 profile, but I cannot seem to find the correct router bits. Does anyone know where I can get these?
Also any tips on fabricating the rail would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Whiteside can custom make anything you want that can be cut with a router. Call and ask for Todd. I've had them make a fair number over the years, and to a simple hand drawing sent by email, or they can match a sample of something old or new. They come out perfect, and cut cleanly in one pass. Cost typically runs from 150 to 275.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

Here is your handrail bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response, I did see these router sets before, but in looking at the shape and size, they do not seem to give the correct 6010 profile, I printed out the profile and scaled it to full size, and the taper section on the 49550 bit is too straight and too long.
I think I may have found the correct part at Holbren (part 3305)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts