Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a project where I'm doing a lot of plunge routering. After about 1 hour of work I can tell the bit is getting dull, I've tried lightly cleaning the edge with a diamond honing plate.. no improvement..

I picked up a second 1/2 inch strait bit and continued working.. for about an hour. I need a solution so I can continue working at least a half day without stopping..

Green doug fir, 1 inch plunge..

Yes, I've cleaned the bits.
No, I'm not trying to touch the profile side of the carbide.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I picked up a project where I'm doing a lot of plunge routering. After about 1 hour of work I can tell the bit is getting dull, I've tried lightly cleaning the edge with a diamond honing plate.. no improvement..

I picked up a second 1/2 inch strait bit and continued working.. for about an hour. I need a solution so I can continue working at least a half day without stopping..

Green doug fir, 1 inch plunge..

Yes, I've cleaned the bits.
No, I'm not trying to touch the profile side of the carbide.
Are you using a straight bit designed for plunge cutting? If it doesn't have a cutter across the bottom as is shown in the pic, you are likely building high heat which will kill a bit quickly. A better description of what you are doing will help; just plunging holes? stopped dados? Likely a spiral bit will be a better choice.
:yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm routing a mortis in a 4x4 about 1 inch deep. My first bit was a bosh and it really lasted well. the second bit is a freud and it lasted hardly an hour. first plunge then digging out the material for the mortis.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
But are they plunge cutters? That was a good point above. A spiral bit will likely be the solution, but you will find them a bit (pun intended) pricey. The fluted plunge cutters are quite a bit cheaper.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Here's a link to plunge cutting straight bits
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_plung.html

and here is one for spiral bits
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_solid.html

You will see there is about 3x difference in the price, $13 vs $40 for the 1/2" diameter. If you have a lot to do, the up spiral is definitely worth the difference.:smile:

If you picked he others up over the counter at a big box, odds are neither were true plunge cutting. I suspect the Freud was a "mortising" bit which would be the same as a straight bit with a larger chip relief area on the bottom. Those are really designed for hinge mortising; shallow relief for hinge clearance on door edges and door frames. Those would work for your application but are technique sensitive as you need to keep the router moving while plunging. If you try to plunge to depth and then move the router, you just burn the bit up. Also, 1" deep is pretty deep, should be done in 3 or 4 depth changes.
Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts