Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm doing some faux raised panels and want to use this profile but I can't find the right router bit.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The trim appears to be made in multiple parts, it may require more than 1 router bit and multiple pieces of trim in combination to make up the profile.

·
Banned
153 Posts
A Better Place :)

I'm doing some faux raised panels and want to use this profile but I can't find the right router bit.
Just having some fun with Better Place's name. But do check out his work and I think you will find your answer.
He has one table that looks like a pyramid. No kidding. What it is, the 4 sections/lines create the visual effect of a pyramid.
With your faux panels, it may be more light routing and staining in different tones. Of course a darker tone will make something look more recessed while a lighter stain will look raised.
Of course, it might be staining only but thin lines do create definition even if it's not real.

Jim

·
bzguy
581 Posts
That profile is normally made in one piece with a molder and the correct knives.
Williams and Hussey for one probably makes it if not something real close.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Nothing is impossible, but because it is a series of radii, beads and coves, going to be tough to duplicate with router.
Edit to ad you could come close to this look with simply two pieces of 1/2 round, small cove around larger outside with flat spot in between smaller inside 1/2 round.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Are you asking about the egg and dart profile on the top rail or the panel molding forming the false panel? Egg and dart were traditionally hand carved and a sign of an experienced craftsman. Today, you can buy lengths of it that are done with auto carving machines. There are also embossed moldings in that profile but they are stamped and not so nicely detailed. Builder64 showed some bits that will cut the panel profile or similar. That style molding is also available, or very close.
http://www.vandykes.com/8-egg-dart-carved-molding/p/202273/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts