Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some new router bits. I have always used the Freud brand of router bits (1/2" shaft) but tonight I found a configuration made by Yonico, that I really like. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of router bit? How did it perform, did it dull easily, run smooth and self cleaning? I appreciate any information or experiences you might be able to share about the Yonico brand. Thank you in advance, I will be routing Oak by the way.

·
where's my table saw?
29,921 Posts
If the manufacturer states the type of carbide, that's a big clue as to quality. For instance carbide hardness varies from C2, then C3 and finally C4. Even those simple grading units have evolved over the years and may not be the same as years ago:
Yonico bits are well regarded for performance and value.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I picked up a 1/2" set of router bits from Yonico last year and I also own a Yonico 45 degree lock miter bit. The bits I have used have cut very cleanly and for the price they're hard to beat. I paid $149 for this set last year...it doesn't appear to be available now on Amazon but there are several sets like it:

I have started buying slightly better bits for ones I use on a regular basis. I picked up a few Whiteside bits over the last 3 months. I think Whiteside bits are about halfway between the cheaper Yonico bits and the real high-end bits. I'm very happy with the first few whiteside bits I purchased, the spiral flush trim bit is very good.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,862 Posts
LOL ~ yeah, 83* (Eighty Three) degrees here his weekend.
Marion County experienced a little frost last week - some tomato plants were lost.
other than that, it is a nice entry into the New Year !!!
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm looking at some new router bits. I have always used the Freud brand of router bits (1/2" shaft) but tonight I found a configuration made by Yonico, that I really like. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of router bit? How did it perform, did it dull easily, run smooth and self cleaning? I appreciate any information or experiences you might be able to share about the Yonico brand. Thank you in advance, I will be routing Oak by the way.
Recently I have been using some of those Yonico router bits.I bought half inch shank they three-quarter inch flush pets one 2 1/2 inch long and one at 1 inch long...And I also bought a tongue and groove set half inch deep half inch shank.
I will say they are OK they’re not great are use them for some specific purposes but they’re not the same sharpness as a higher price bits. They begin to full a bit quicker than high-quality carbide bits. I keep my variable speed router RPMs as low as I can so they don’t heat up and that does extend the life quite a bit
For the price, and if you don’t have a large production need for these , I will buy more of these bits if I just need to do 10 of these or 20 of those type of situation.
I hope that helps Brotha

Yetti-

·
Registered
751 Posts
I picked up a 1/2" set of router bits from Yonico last year and I also own a Yonico 45 degree lock miter bit. The bits I have used have cut very cleanly and for the price they're hard to beat. I paid $149 for this set last year...it doesn't appear to be available now on Amazon but there are several sets like it:

I have started buying slightly better bits for ones I use on a regular basis. I picked up a few Whiteside bits over the last 3 months. I think Whiteside bits are about halfway between the cheaper Yonico bits and the real high-end bits. I'm very happy with the first few whiteside bits I purchased, the spiral flush trim bit is very good.

All Yonico bits including the 50 and 70 bit sets are available here:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All Yonico bits including the 50 and 70 bit sets are available here:

Thanks for the info Tom,
Like I said I have never used any Yonico router bits, but there is a world of difference in price between the Freud, I normally use, and the Yonico. Have you ever used the Yonico on any of the Oak species?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks for the info Tom,
Like I said I have never used any Yonico router bits, but there is a world of difference in price between the Freud, I normally use, and the Yonico. Have you ever used the Yonico on any of the Oak species?
I have used Yonico bits on birch and hard maple, and on birch and maple prefinished 3/4" plywood. The only maintenance I have done is to use bit cleaner on them periodically. I have always ordered directly from precisionbits.com.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I have multiple sets of Yonico bits.
I'm a hobby shop - they are not used 8 hours/day x 52 weeks a year.
for my use(s)/needs, they do just fine.

if the 70 pc set ever is available, it's a darn good deal for the hobbyist. of 70 pcs, 30-40 likely will never be used . . . but having a bunch of profiles to pick from makes for an interesting day in the shop. all the trouble you can get into without having to order/wait for anything . . . .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom, Valid point. Thanks.

I have a project to build for all the family members that will require that I run a lot (and I mean a lot)of quarter sawn oak and my biggest concern is getting a bit that hold up and mill the Oak safely and well. Oak can be very tough and demanding. I'm thinking I may try one just to see how it holds up. Thanks for writing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tom, Valid point. Thanks.

I have a project to build for all the family members that will require that I run a lot (and I mean a lot)of quarter sawn oak and my biggest concern is getting a bit that hold up and mill the Oak safely and well. Oak can be very tough and demanding. I'm thinking I may try one just to see how it holds up. Thanks for writing.
I've used my Yonico bits with quite a bit of red and white oak. The white oak I use has all been quartersawn. The oak is probably the softest wood I've used them on. Most of my projects this year have been with black locust and I've done some work with padauk, bloodwood and purpleheart. So far the bits have held up well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've used my Yonico bits with quite a bit of red and white oak. The white oak I use has all been quartersawn. The oak is probably the softest wood I've used them on. Most of my projects this year have been with black locust and I've done some work with padauk, bloodwood and purpleheart. So far the bits have held up well.
Great Bernie,
Thanks for the info, I was hoping someone might have some experience with red and white oak and the Yonico bits. May I ask, What size Router are you using? I have a 1.75 and a 3.0 HP, but I prefer the smaller. Just wondering how the oak, Yonico and router size correlate to each other with your success. Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great Bernie,
Thanks for the info, I was hoping someone might have some experience with red and white oak and the Yonico bits. May I ask, What size Router are you using? I have a 1.75 and a 3.0 HP, but I prefer the smaller. Just wondering how the oak, Yonico and router size correlate to each other with your success. Thanks
Both of my routers are 2 1/4 HP Dewalt DW618's so it looks like I'm right in the middle of your small and large router. I've never had any "lack of power" issues with the Dewalts but I generally take small passes whenever possible.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Great Bernie,
I have those.
I work primarily with red & white oak, ash and hard maple.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have those.
I work primarily with red & white oak, ash and hard maple.
You are using the Yonico bits? Great to hear there is another satisfied user. Thanks for the info. Good to hear. What size Router are you using?
I would like to use my 1.75 and I realize it depends on bit size, but Do you think it will be underpowered? I have a larger router, But I have always liked this Milwaukee. I think I'm going to order the Yonico's and see how they work for me. They have some profiles that I want that I can't find elsewhere anyways. So this is good news.Thanks Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I have two Bosch 1617 variable speed. one is table mounted, the other kept for freehand/dovetail/panel rabbit-dado work.
depending on which blurb you read, it's rated 2 or 2.25 hp.
being a 'hobbyist' - they are not used for thousands of lineal feet per day - but mine have 'lasted' 4-5-6 years without issue in all but exclusively hard species. typically I buy 200-300 rough sawn BF - 2x / year, so that's an indicator of how heavily they get used - altho obviously not every BF gets bitten by a router.... altho I'd guessimate 80% of my BF gets a Yonico 1/4 round over on 2 or 4 edges. years and years of such 'light cuts' from the same bit....

and I'll tell you a little secret - I have other router bit sets - ala Grizzly, etc. the boxes are identical, the non-stick coating is a different color - but other than that - it's all made in China and likely in the same factory and to the same specs.

the only significant different is carbide cutting edges I've seen is for helix joiner/planer bits. there are carbides that are "harder" than others - but they don't seem to appear in router bits.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.