Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with adjusting my router bit height. The router is mounted underneath the table. How high should the bit be if the piece of cherry is 1" thick.
:eek:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That depends....what kind of bit? Straight? Round over? Profile bit?

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
It would be nice if you would write a few words about yourself in the indroduction section.

Cannot answer your question without knowing what it is you are trying to do.

George

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Your question can't be answered without some of the other details. What are trying to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
router bit setting

Hi,

Thank you for such a quick response.

We are trying to make a sofa table. We have a piece of cherry approximately 1" thick.

We need to make sure we have the router bit correctly. I have uploadeds photos of our setup and the bit we would like to use.

Is there a general rule on setting the bit?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It looks like you want to use a roundover bit on the corner of the piece of cherry? If all you want is a rounded edge, then you would set the bit so the bottom of the curved portion is level with the table. That bit has a bearing, if you intend to use the fence on the table, the fence should be set flush with the bearing (use a steel straightedge). Now, if you want a small fillet or bead on the edge, You would raise the bit to cut the amount you wanted. Finally, if you don't use the fence with that bit your table should have something called a starter pin that should be in place and used to route the piece. This would just be a small straight pin that fastens somewhere to the table a few inches away from the bit. You push the workpiece against it just before engaging the bit. Once the bit is engaged, you move the workpiece away from the pin and route the edge. Hope this is of use.....

Reactions: cyndiman

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Take some cuts on a scrap piece of wood the same thickness and adjust bit height until you get a profile you like.
Tom

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Looking at the pictures in your album.....there's no only right way to make it. What I would recommend is trying a few trial runs on scraps and see what height you like it at.

·
John
3,028 Posts
With a bit like that, I set the fence even with the bearing... steel straight edge works well for this.
Bit height depends on whether I want a bead along the edge, if not, the vertical edge of the cutter must be just below the table surface, otherwise proud the amount of bead you want. As others have noted, some experimentation is in order here. :smile:

Reactions: cyndiman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts