Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a router that I can cut dovetail joints with. (mine is an old J C Penney router that the bottom plate won't work with the collar needed) I have been looking at different routers and have noticed that the hole in the plate is different on each one. (the Dwalt hole is much smaller that the Bosch) Some are bigger than others. My question is... How do I pick the right one that the collar will fit so I can cut dovetail joints for the drawers that I'm building?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would just pick up a combo kit. Router and table. I just picked up a new setup at sears. Came with a router with low startup and led light and a nice little table. I paid 59.99 because it was double marked and I got lucky and it rang up at the 59.99 price. The router itself is 60 it's a flat base and the table is 60-75 but you can still get that combo kit for 99. Also the router comes with both a 1/4 and 1/2 collet which is awesome. With both collets you can use all the different bits including raised panel bits and all that. I know craftsman routers doesn't have the prestige as a PC or Bosch but the router I bought works flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with it. It has lots of features and comes with both collets if you get the combo kit. It's a heck of a deal and will give you the setup you need to make joints and like I said I couldn't be happier with my craftsman router. The only thing I didn't like is the 5/8 miter slot instead of 3/4 so I am buying a different table and just selling the craftsman one. Nothing wrong with it just need the 3/4 slot for a jig. Hope this helps

·
John
3,028 Posts
I need to buy a router that I can cut dovetail joints with. (mine is an old J C Penney router that the bottom plate won't work with the collar needed) I have been looking at different routers and have noticed that the hole in the plate is different on each one. (the Dwalt hole is much smaller that the Bosch) Some are bigger than others. My question is... How do I pick the right one that the collar will fit so I can cut dovetail joints for the drawers that I'm building?
Cheapest way to do it would be just to change the baseplate for one made to take porter cable style guide bushings.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...tml/pages/routacc2.html#brass_template_anchor
You will need to scroll down to the bottom but they are there.
To answer your question, the base plate needs a 1-3/16" hole through the plate with a 1-3/8" counterbore around that hole (leaves a small lip for the bushing to ride in).
You noticed some routers have larger holes in the base, those will likely have an adapter of some type to use the guide bushings with. The smaller hole routers are really quite constrictive as the bit diameter is limited to about 1-1/4" max. Their forte is the use of guide bushings. If you do get a router that accepts guide bushings out of the box, I would still recommend picking up an extra base plate with a larger hole, or making one.
Another alternative would be picking up a milescraft base plate/bushing kit.
Amazon.com: Milescraft 1211 Base Plate Metal-Nose Bushing Set for Routers: Home Improvement
8&keywords=milescraft+guide+bushing
Here you get a baseplate and set of guide bushings with an adapter to use the porter cable bushings. That baseplate has enough holes to fit almost any router ever conceived. I've gone through 4 of those things as the base plate makes a great universal interface for jigs.
I don't remember when JC Penney stopped selling power tools but I know it's been awhile. If you are still in the mood to shop for a router, this is arguably the best deal in todays market
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-a...p-00927683000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
I got that router last March and while it takes porter cable bushings out of the box, the first thing I did was put the Milescraft plate on it.
Good Luck:smile:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The aftermarket base mentioned above would be the most economical approach, but if you need a new router (don't we all?) most of them comes with 2 base plates anymore. One would be for the bushings sized as jshaben described, the second would be a larger opening for the larger bits. Those that don't have the 2 base plates usually have a large opening that takes a propriety adapter to hold the bushings (commonly called Porter Cable bushings).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I bought the Dwalt 2 1/4 hp kit with the plunge housing. It came with two plates, one small hole and one large hole so I'm set. Now I just have to buy the collar and the dovetail bit and I can get down to really messing up some quality wood.:laughing:

P.S. I've been practicing hand cut dove tails and feel ok doing it that way however I need half blind dove tails and that is another thing all together.:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts