·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like porter cable. I have a few of their tools. I like the Craftsman mainly because I can get it local for 100 and I live about 45minute from anything like Home depot so I really hate buying stuff from there as I hate to spend 25 bucks in Gas to exchange/return something.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a PC 890 series, I am happy with it as a hand router. I have used it in my current router table but looking to upgrade the setup to a 7518 router with a incra lift. As an entry router the 890 will be a great option. The flexibility it offers is great. Even in a table it will do most jobs.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Any other suggestions? Are those two choices fine?
The saw looks like a gear driven saw. That should be a very good buy. I have never had a gear driven, but they are rated to be much better than the standard circular saw.

I have two Craftsman routers. Both give good service.

George

·
John
3,028 Posts
I agree with cmans recommendation on the router, especially if you are planning on throwing some large bits. The saw, however is a hypoid drive which has gobs of torque but is also very heavy. 13.5# is quite a bit for a tool. Take a look at this one, it showed up at $120 after playing their "let's guess the price" game. :smile:
http://www.sears.com/dewalt-dwe575s...M6535018407?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=G11

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea I plan to use some large Roundover bits but I almost always use Pine. I like the saw.... weight is not much of a concern honestly. I actually think it makes it easier on most cuts.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My latest additions to my circular saw collection have been this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...ve-Circular-Saw-R32103/100078833#.UkWWIRDVHec and this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-F...ng-Circular-Saw-R32032/100490044#.UkWWRhDVHec

Both are reasonably priced ($149 and $99) and highly rated. The first, a worm drive, is a heavy saw but relatively light for a worm drive. The second is the 6-1/2" Fuego sidewinder and is light and a pleasure to use. The big worm drive is good for heavy framing lumber but the smaller Fuego might be a good choice if you are primarily cutting ply. I have a Freud plywood blade in mine and it does a nice job.

Bill

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have a Makita 5007 model circ saw purchased at HD. At the same time, I bought a Diablo 7 1/4 inch 60 tooth blade which results in smooth crosscuts and rips. I cut down a hard maple glue up to final size and it turned out great. The table top was 1 1/2 inches thick. I consider that a pretty good test of the saw and blade.

Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Ditto on the Makita 5007, I've have a 5007NB for years.

I had an opportunity to buy a different saw when my first 5007 was stolen but replaced it with another 5007.

Its a good reliable saw.

The only thing I've done to it was replace the original cord with a 15 footer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts