Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being a relative noob at cutting wood, I figured I would get some opinions here before I start. I have a 2x4 stock for a crossbow that I am working on, I used my bandsaw to get it shaped nicely. Now I am faced with the issue that while my cut outs are done, all of the hard edges of the wood are still, well, there. I contemplated using a rasp, but the last time I did that it took forever and looked sloppy. Some people say to use a router, which I have never done before. I actually have a rectangle shaped power sander that I was thinking about using, but this seems more like material removal than just sanding.

The end goal is to get the bottom corners of my stock to be nice and round, just like a real gun stock. I am looking for the easiest/cheapest method that can accomplish that.

·
where's my table saw?
27,856 Posts
they are alot like rifle stocks

There is no cheap, easy way to remove the hard corners on a complex shape like a rifle stock. The best you can do is saw the corners off at 45 degrees using the bandsaw or a handsaw. Then work the shape down with a wood rasp or Surform/Stanley. A hand held disc grinder/sander will remove a lot of material using a 36 grit disc. There is no substitute for hand sanding on this type of project.

An image I grabbed off the net from here:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts