Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Just getting started with routing and will be making some radiator covers as one of my first projects. I don;t have a bad saw or anything to make a really good template for a curve, but have a circle cutting jig for router (RouterBuddy), so I can get the arc I need. What I'm stuck on is if I'm rounding the corner of a piece without a template, is there an easy way to prevent overshoot, as shown by the blue in the attached diagram?

I'm sure there's a blindingly obvious way to do it. I just can't see it

Regards

Mark

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Is your jig clear? Or and does it have an indicator of a center line on it?

·
Registered
994 Posts
With the jig on but the router off, move the router to where you want to stop and then clamp a stop block down to keep the router from going any farther that way. Do the same for the adjacent side. Also, always cut counter-clockwise around the corner to keep the bit from wanting to pull you past your stop point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the jig on but the router off, move the router to where you want to stop and then clamp a stop block down to keep the router from going any farther that way. Do the same for the adjacent side. Also, always cut counter-clockwise around the corner to keep the bit from wanting to pull you past your stop point.
Thanks 4DThinker!

·
John
3,028 Posts
I'd use the jig to make a radius pattern from plywood or MDF and then use a pattern bit (shank mounted bearing flush cut bit) to make the radius. Make the pattern with enough of a straight run to make sure you get all the way around where you want. It also saves setting up the jig every time. :smile:

Reactions: FrankC
1 - 7 of 7 Posts