Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a small round dining table. The wood I am using is 7/8" and will likely be planed down to 3/4". I want the table top to appear "beefier" and be more like 1 1/2", but I want to avoid laminating another 3/4" to the entire table top. What would be the best method of laminating just the outer edges? Bonus points for examples/pictures/videos.

Thanks!

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,058 Posts
One way to make the top appear thicker is to put a thumbnail or waterfall edge on it. Thumbnail has a small step in the profile while the waterfall edge is smooth. It's not a roundover as the profile radius changes as it drops over towards vertical. Our kitchen countertops were done with a waterfall edge and the granite looks thicker than it really is. You can see the shapes with Google.

·
where's my table saw?
27,749 Posts
This is a common practice .....

Adding an additional layer around the perimeter is common practice to make the top look thicker. You only need the additional 2" to 3" in from the edge. Do this by dividing your top into sections, typically 6 or 8, but up to 12 will work. That makes the angles a division of 360 easier.
For example, 360 divided by 12 equals 30 degrees per section, BUT it means a 15 degree cut on the pieces to equal 30 degrees when butted together.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/degrees.html

Making simple round table tops:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts