Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here. I've been carving wood for a little over a year now, making props from video games and a few small sculptures. I was using dremel for a long time, but they always die out after a month or so because the motor gets too hot and the coils melt together. New Brush caps don't seem to fix it and it's not the bearings, so i want to get a new type of rotary grinder similar to a dremel.
What tool/company would you guys suggest? I was thinking maybe air tools, but i would need a bigger compressor.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Proxxon makes some high end tools for carving. I don't use them personally, but have a friend who does. They are precision engineered and well made, so they are not cheap to buy (like most tools worth owning, I suppose).

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks i'll check it out

Edit: it turns out most people have problems with extended use. One person said it caught fire within 4 hours and others say it breaks down often. Conclusion: proxxon is good for detail, bad for extended use.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi!
As modelmakers, etc., we highly urge you to check out the Foredom line of flexible shafts, motors and accessories. www.foredom.net/
We use the hang style motors with chuck style flex shafts, with foot powered speed control!
A bit pricey, but pro-quality thru and thru.
Some of ours range in age from 7+ to 30+ years old (we use four) with nary a problem and parts are always available! Great investment!
Best,
Marena and Vinny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts