Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister wants a motorcycle rocking (horse?) for a relay for life auction for xmas. Told her not to hold her breath on that one. lol

Anyway I've been looking at those rotary shapers that you use in a drill press. The kind that look like a cheese grater shaped like a drum sander.

Where's a good place to get those and is there a brand to stay away from or anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever tried them? One review liked how they removed faster than a sander, another thought they were too coarse.

They seem to be the only ones out there. I'll have to bite the bullet I guess.

·
where's my table saw?
28,606 Posts
making the rockers this way?

You should have a bandsaw. :yes:
These micro planes "may" clean up a rough surface, BUT a drum sander in the drill press can also. I have an earlier version like a Stanley SurForm, and I'm not really fond of it. You can spend a lot of money on drums for the drill press, BUT the best solution is an Oscillating Spindle Sander. I have one of these and it's great for smoothing curves. A 20% off coupon is in almost evry woodworking magazine or auto mag on the stands.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-oscillating-spindle-sander-69257.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You should have a bandsaw. :yes:
These micro planes "may" clean up a rough surface, BUT a drum sander in the drill press can also. I have an earlier version like a Stanley SurForm, and I'm not really fond of it. You can spend a lot of money on drums for the drill press, BUT the best solution is an Oscillating Spindle Sander. I have one of these and it's great for smoothing curves. A 20% off coupon is in almost evry woodworking magazine or auto mag on the stands.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-oscillating-spindle-sander-69257.html

My drill press is a shop fox and it will oscillate so I'm covered there. I just get a lot of dust. I went and ordered a set from the microplane site itself. Will give them a try. I tend to look at some things differently since I quit drinking. I figure I would waste a lot more money than I just spent in one night of drinking and have nothing to show for it but a headache. lol

Also forgot to mention I have 4 bandsaws for different things and reasons. I'm still getting my technique down on those!

·
where's my table saw?
28,606 Posts
multiple tools!

My kinda guy! I can relate. I use a hollow box with a hole larger than the drum and a port on one side connected to a shop vac to collect the dust. It works pretty well. The micro plane will have chips rather than dust but you can make the same thing work for that unit. :yes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it has a little plastic adapter on the drill table that you attach a shop vac to but I get tired of hearing that run after a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts