Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I glued up the top for a buffet this morning and when I started sanding I discovered this. It only stretches a few inches but is right on the glue line. Doesn't go all the way through from what I can tell. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Looks like spalting. This is a fungus which consumes the wood. Can be an attractive feature in turning.

Can be soft, what turners call "punky". The decay will have stopped.

Since this is a small area, if the soft area is too soft, use some CA (cyano acryllate aka super glue) to harden the fibres. You will be able to apply a finish on top of the CA glue.

CA glue comes in different thickness formulae. I would use medium.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wiping the top down with mineral spirits shows that that area doesn't finish like the rest. I think ill do as you speak and just let it "add character" haha. If I'm putting poly over the top, would the CA still be necessary or would I be better off being safe than sorry?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A majority of the material I picked up from the mill was spalted which excited me....until the wife said the word PAINT. Luckily it's being built with poplar so the painting isn't too big of a deal. I joked with her that if we ever got a divorce I'm sanding the paint off haha. I did convince her out of painting the top so it gets to show somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.