Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly just a place holder for now, but tomorrow I'm gonna get myself some decent hand tools and start with my next build.. I have some left over mahogany and some rosewood that I'm gonna use for this one..

Have the plans (well more like the idea) sketched out on my iPad so far, but will get to this one tomorrow :)

Doesn't look like much, but I understand them..

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unfortunately my budget hasn't quite allowed me to purchase any new tools, but I did manage to find this tucked away in the depths of my toolbox.. An old rusty hand saw..

Now, splitting a 50mm thick mahogany board with a handsaw is, well, very tiresome.. So I haven't managed to make a hell a lot of progress.. But here's pretty much what I've come up with so far.

I don't have a mitre saw, so the mitre joints unfortunately do have micro gaps in them and using the rosewood spacers actually made this slightly harder. After cutting the joints and picking up the little triangle off cut pieces, I thought there must be something I can use these for, so I included them I my design, deviating the original slightly..

Tomorrow, I plan on doing all the inlays and sanding the lid completely even..

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Looks good so far.
I give you a lot of credit for doing it with hand tools.
I'm glued to this. Keep it going.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, so I've got the lid narrowed down.. Still needs a lot of finishing with sanding and all that jazz.. Got some of the box itself busy gluing up at the moment as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got box sorted out.. Still hunting my house down for an additional piece of rosé wood for the draw cover though. Unfortunately I will be packing my tools away into a box today for a while as we're moving on Saturday.. But I do hope to get this baby finished next week..

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I gotta say...looks to me that if you are able to take rough sawn lumber and create a project like that...you my friend have skill. Very nice use of grain in your design. Well done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I found a piece of wood to create the draw cover.. Managed to get this baby finished today :) still want to do my final finishing with like a 1000 grit sand paper (finest I had was 320 i think) and oil her up with a linseed or something..

Naturally due to my limited tool kit of an old crosscut hand saw and my trusty hacksaw, a cheap hand plane and sand paper there are many gaps between joints and stuff, but in a whole, quite proud of myself for this build..

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice looking box. I agree with the others; you got some great use of the limited tools you available to you.
I like your design too. Very cool. I can't wait to see it with finish applied. It's going to look awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts